How Far?

Rate this topic

i have been doing some bottom fishing lately, Salem/Beverly area. Lots of fish but all way too small ( except flounder)

How far out do I have to go to find anything large enough to keep? Not looking for spots, just an idea as to how far and/or deep I need to be.

Thanks

i have been doing some bottom fishing lately, Salem/Beverly area. Lots of fish but all way too small ( except flounder)

How far out do I have to go to find anything large enough to keep? Not looking for spots, just an idea as to how far and/or deep I need to be.

Thanks

Rather than searching for distance look for the correct time to fish. New moon period at night around structure and current.

what are you targeting?

Haddock, pollock, cusk, pretty much anything tasty. Cod iswww.stripersonline.com

Tips for catching more fish. Includes articles, reports, chats and forums for the New Jersey shores and an online store.

My favorite but yeah, I know it's prohibited.

I love halibut but that's probably a pipe dream around here......

i have spots that i catch haddock within 5 miles of gloucester, outside of salem/beverly is a little more difficult. Check your maps and find structure outside of the islands (i can think of a few off the top of my head but dont want to post here). i use these structures and drop offs to find large cunners, and formerly codfish. for cunners i purchase the heavier sabiki rigs, 2-4 hook style usually in the 40lb test range and couple that with a 3-6oz jig and i tip the sabiki hooks with seaworms. i have taken some nice bass and again, formerly some nice codfish out there with this method. Outside of that, tautogs are around but you have to be in the know for those spots. i have had about a dozen seabass bycatch this year, but again you have to know exactly where to target those. good luck, and like bastards said, all the pollock you want...if you like those they are endless in and around the islands

I went out yesterday just past the islands just to see what I would pull up using a sabiki with a small diamond jig attached.  Macks of course, harbor Pollock, small Cunner, small sea Robin, small Cusk.  I found some structure that had a bit of a drop off and found a sizeable but prohibited fish.  Figures right?

i have spots that i catch haddock within 5 miles of gloucester, outside of salem/beverly is a little more difficult. Check your maps and find structure outside of the islands (i can think of a few off the top of my head but dont want to post here). i use these structures and drop offs to find large cunners, and formerly codfish. for cunners i purchase the heavier sabiki rigs, 2-4 hook style usually in the 40lb test range and couple that with a 3-6oz jig and i tip the sabiki hooks with seaworms. i have taken some nice bass and again, formerly some nice codfish out there with this method. Outside of that, tautogs are around but you have to be in the know for those spots. i have had about a dozen seabass bycatch this year, but again you have to know exactly where to target those. good luck, and like bastards said, all the pollock you want...if you like those they are endless in and around the islands

thanks for the tips.  I went out and looked around a bit. It was pretty choppy for my 17' cc so I didn't venture out very far.  I did find a little bit of structure and drop offs.  I didn't catch anything I could keep but I learned a lot.  Thanks again.