Penn Clash

Rate this topic

scoobydoo

well obviously Penns advertisment about a new improved gear and pinion does not go along with the idea of every reel they make having the same gearing or they just made up a sales pitch on this post .  So you are saying that Penn will be putting the new and improved gear system in every reel thay make or that Pure fishing is running a scam on the fishing public having Penn put an ad up  stating a new and improved gear system that really doesn't exist ?

We have the gear conversation about every year or so. Alan Hawk will confirm that most Pure Fishing reels have the same internals with minor variations in body design, bearing count and drag materials. Pure Fishing does not make fishing reels, they only market them. The manufacturer is a company called Hokkaido (sp?).

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot. 

well obviously Penns advertisment about a new improved gear and pinion does not go along with the idea of every reel they make having the same gearing or they just made up a sales pitch on this post .  So you are saying that Penn will be putting the new and improved gear system in every reel thay make or that Pure fishing is running a scam on the fishing public having Penn put an ad up  stating a new and improved gear system that really doesn't exist ?

No, I like Penn. I think it funny when so many rant about how great Pfelugers gears are and how poor the same zinc gears are in Penn's.  Frankly any problem anyone has had with Penn's gears are more likely caused by angler error in using braided lines than what material the gear is made out of.  And if they want to improve on the gearing all they really have to do is make sure they are properly shimmed at the factory, and I base this one that being the answer to the grand majority of complaints on the Penn sub-forum.  But honestly somewhere in a Doyo or Bantax factory where pure fishing has all their reels made, the same gears for all their reels are being MIM'ed in the same line and just taking diverted paths to different model lines.  They're not scamming us, just being a big business.

Edited by 0119

We have the gear conversation about every year or so. Alan Hawk will confirm that most Pure Fishing reels have the same internals with minor variations in body design, bearing count and drag materials. Pure Fishing does not make fishing reels, they only market them. The manufacturer is a company called Hokkaido (sp?).

i googled that name and found Hokkaido Spin Marine, a water proof reel.  interesting.

Same reel, same company, they just come out of a different back door of the factory. Your fooling yourself if you think the same gear in one is different than the same gear in the other.  

check out another guys opinion on blowing gears that are not cast equally from one reel to the other

•  
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 115 posts

Posted Today, 6:29 AM

Well, I just blew my gears on a SSV.  The gears are cast similar to their lesser models which was a concern of mine when I purchased it.  I think they were going for the beefier frame adding the structure to keep the gears aligned.  The reel lasted a bit longer but only 2 years and I clean and regrease the gear box just about every trip as I get splashed often.

The conversation going on in the Penn forum (and the posted advertising) seems to be heavily pointing towards an improved gear set for the Clash. While it's true that many of Penn's reels have been updates of the Battle family The clash seems to be a different branch on their tree. So far everything is speculation and we will have to wait a few weeks until Penn spills the beans.

They cast like a bunch of bananas in a tropical storm. -bdowning

check out another guys opinion on blowing gears that are not cast equally from one reel to the other

•  
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 115 posts

Posted Today, 6:29 AM

Well, I just blew my gears on a SSV.  The gears are cast similar to their lesser models which was a concern of mine when I purchased it.  I think they were going for the beefier frame adding the structure to keep the gears aligned.  The reel lasted a bit longer but only 2 years and I clean and regrease the gear box just about every trip as I get splashed often.

But no one knows how any other person has treated his equipment.  I still say the grand majority of damaged reels is caused by braided line being used with improper drag settings for braid.  But mostly there is an entire generation of idiots out there who think they have to fight fish like some bass pro they see on tv.  They dont fight the fish with the rod, only the reel. No pump and wind just drag it in and reel against the drag. Without a father figure to teach them how.  No one has told them tv pro's aren't doing it right.

How do people blow their gears? I honestly can't imagine, I've taken numerous large tarpon and jacks on 4000 battles and that's a challenge. The ssv ll whups em right up there with gosas in regards to drag and smoothness of retrieve under pressure. The bail wires have gotten loose on the battles but that's about it. I would really like to know what people are doing with their reels to cause that extreme kind of failures.

Funny, all the years I have been fishing Penn reels

I never "blew my gears" on any of them, old or new.

Now I understand that penn used better alloys on there

older reels compared to the cheaper zinc type they use

now on the SSV. Never blew a gear on the Slammers,

SSM's, conflicts, none of them! And they all use the

cheaper alloy gear. Like mentioned above, please

if someone can explain how they blew there gears

out, enquiring minds want to know.

Believe it or not, I have had more of the under $200

Shimano reels go rough on me than the Penns,

No lie. They start out buttery smooth, but eventually

over time I feel the smoothness give way to a slight

roughness during retrieve.They have improved

this with the newer SW models with Xship. These

are the only Shimano I will purchase. If Penn uses

Torque quality gears in the new Clash series it will

become an instant winner. It will be like the older

bulletproof SS series in the modern, refined SSV

chassis. If they keep these in the $200 price range

then the competition will be in for some trouble.