CTS S7

Rate this topic

Springer

Is anyone fishing the S7 1305 or 1306?  I am considering pulling the trigger on one of these and I am not quite sure which would be best for AI and one fall trip to Hatteras each year.  I was hoping to get a little feedback on the casting rage of each from folks who fish the same places.  I know I like something a bit more moderate than fast and not so timing critical since I classify myself as only an average caster (working on that).  The S7 sounds like it might be a good choice based on my preferences while the S8 sounds like it is for people with more skills than me. For comparison I am also considering a couple of the usual Rainshadow models. I am currently using a couple of off the shelf models, 12' Penn Pro Guide: generally like, 12' OM: generally don't like.  I know "try before you buy" is the right way to do it but I also know that the urge to buy a rod is going to overcome me before I can figure out a time and place to do so.

Springer, are you looking for a 6nbait, 8nbait rod? KOSS and LuckyOC have the big S8 heavers, I've only got the 11'6" 1-3 for plugging. I think a few others have the S8. I've never seen an S7 The S8 is definitely faster tipped.

Couple other blanks that come to mind is the Rainshadow 1508 and the Daiwa Ballistic 35-405. I find both very easy to load and cast. The 1508 definitely was a moderate action, handles 8nbait well. My 35-405 is great at 6-7nbait.

I'd love to try an S7 but I've got way too much stuff :(:)

good luck with your search!

Thanks Mtd. I am mostly looking to throw 8. I have not tracked down a SUR1508 but have found a source SUR1569 and a SU1509. The 1569 sounds maybe too stout, not sure about the 1509. It is weird how the Rainshadows seemed popular but the company has gotten out of the surf market and as such they are a little harder to find.

I own(ed) both a 1305 and 1306.  The 1305 is simply an awesome beach 8 and bait heaver.  On my first outing with the rod two springs ago, on several casts I got down to virgin line on my reel and have never seen so much of my spool into a very slight headwind.  It's really light as well, but that is a bit subjective since I primarily fished WRI rods until now.  The s7 is a bit more parabolic in comparison to WRI rods, and it does not have the crisp snapping feedback on casts that I have grown accustomed to, however it is more forgiving and the gain in distance is simply undeniable.  

The 1306 was intended to be my pier rod and it was so until a sea creature pulled my rod over the rail at approximately 100mph on its first outing in rodanthe last fall.  The rod was beautiful and casted equally so... RIP...

I like these rods enough to have sold off my stable of cherished WRI rods and am in the process of having several more s7's built.  

These rods do have a tip section that is roughly 9'3" so they are a bit of PITA to transport, however at this point in time, there is not another rod out there that I would rather fish.

I own(ed) both a 1305 and 1306.  The 1305 is simply an awesome beach 8 and bait heaver.  On my first outing with the rod two springs ago, on several casts I got down to virgin line on my reel and have never seen so much of my spool into a very slight headwind.  It's really light as well, but that is a bit subjective since I primarily fished WRI rods until now.  The s7 is a bit more parabolic in comparison to WRI rods, and it does not have the crisp snapping feedback on casts that I have grown accustomed to, however it is more forgiving and the gain in distance is simply undeniable.  

The 1306 was intended to be my pier rod and it was so until a sea creature pulled my rod over the rail at approximately 100mph on its first outing in rodanthe last fall.  The rod was beautiful and casted equally so... RIP...

I like these rods enough to have sold off my stable of cherished WRI rods and am in the process of having several more s7's built.  

These rods do have a tip section that is roughly 9'3" so they are a bit of PITA to transport, however at this point in time, there is not another rod out there that I would rather fish.

JP that is great feedback. Sorry you lost that rod. I have no intention of fishing the planks, just the beach. I would like the rod to be able to throw 10 if needed but also would like to stay away from getting something that is too much of a beast. Do you think the 1305 can occasionally handle 10 from the beach?

The Ballastic 40-405 will allow an average caster, such as me, to get 8 (or even 10) & a head out there.  A good caster using conventional reel could probably throw even more.  The factory version comes with guides that can handle either type of reel.

JP that is great feedback. Sorry you lost that rod. I have no intention of fishing the planks, just the beach. I would like the rod to be able to throw 10 if needed but also would like to stay away from getting something that is too much of a beast. Do you think the 1305 can occasionally handle 10 from the beach?

That's hard to say, since I am unaware of your casting ability and how much force you're able to exert on a rod.  Personally, I feel as though I'm an above average caster (aren't we all on the internet?!?! :) )  and I wouldn't make a habit of throwing 10 and bait with a 1305.  I think it could handle it on occasion, but it's definitely not optimal.  A 1306 would be much better suited for this from the beach. 

One thing to note is that this rod, much like the WRI rods is a tip over butt design which makes the butt thin enough to accept a 22mm trigger reel seat if this is of importance to you.  This is a huge selling point for myself as I feel I'm able to clamp my thumb down on the spool with greater force for casts.

Hope this helps a bit.

The Ballastic 40-405 will allow an average caster, such as me, to get 8 (or even 10) & a head out there. A good caster using conventional reel could probably throw even more. The factory version comes with guides that can handle either type of reel.

♡♡♡♡

Didn't see a comment about 2 others you mentioned.  The SUR1569 is a beast.  It's thick, it's heavy and it'll toss whatever you want.  I love mine, but I only use it when I know I'm going to be tossing 8+ and a head as far as I can (drum time).  The SU1509 is a stick I've always wanted.  Never been able to find one, though I haven't looked lately.  The top portion is 9' so keep that in mind when thinking about transport.

If I was to get another rod it would come down to the ballistic (both the 35 and 40 are great), a CTS S8, or a century SS1560.  I would really look into the SS1560 if I were you.  It seems to meet all the requirements you listed above.