Omoto "cast-spinner" reel aka Gem found aka what the heck is this

Rate this topic

steelfish

well, found this Gem on a box with a pile of broken old reels with a local fishing charter guy. long story short now it belogs to my collection of weird reels.

Im pretty sure I have read about this reel on the web some where, I did a quick search yesterday and no luck I dont even know how to search for this model its not a casting reel, a baitcasting or a spincasting, its like a breed of spinnercasting or castspinner.

I dont know if it was a disaster as design or how bad or good perform on the fishing field but it will surely go to my collectibles reels and this will always start a nice conversation about it.

I only cleaned some oil and dust that was on some parts of the reel for the pictures, if you have any link or any comment about this reel please feel free to post it, this reel does no have any model number, name, etc other than omoto name, a nice logo stamp and the indications of "3 ball bearings"

the reel spins super freely and fast, on my all cleaned and serviced abu 6500c3 all I can do when a turn the handle fast is to run barely 2 runs of the levelwind one to left and then back to right at the starting point..on this reel the levelwind make 3 runs or even 4 runs, to left then to right then to left and one last time to right, awesome.

this is the way it was originally, no handle, I might drill the left material on the handle spot and install a nice handle knob for it later

P1050412%20ss_zps49qhlrtv.jpg

body of the reel is 100% solid aluminum and side plates feel like thin aluminum over plastic side plates

P1050413%20ss_zpsqolub0vi.jpg

omoto original logo on the left side

P1050414%20ss_zpsiphlzpyr.jpg

the free spool lever acts like the ones on the baitcasting reels (calcutta ) you turn the lever to free spool and cast as soon as you move the handle the reel goes to brake mode.

P1050418%20ss_zps0fjufmgd.jpg

this handle belongs to a daiwa advantage freshwater baitcasting reel, not the best fit but it will work while working on the reel and try some casting later (wondering how to cast on this thing).

P1050426%20ss_zpstszqtnfl.jpg

at least it was no made in china

P1050430%20ss_zps4kvuw9oe.jpg

I didnt continue with the teardown to see the guts because it was really late yesterday, hey, even my helper felt sleep before me this time

too bad I had to wake her up to take my tool box (pillow) and clean the mess before my wife wake up in the morning. : :)

P1050425%20ss_zpst8vqgfd2.jpg

I have seen a video of that rig on a boat a few years ago,it seemed to be a great idea fordoing the boat thing.

also it looked to have great cranking power as the center of gravity is low and the folks using it looked comfortable.

for those that troll big diving plugs and do tuna,it should be a good piece for that.

maybe Don B. will chime in with more info as he has been around.

H-H

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

....for those that troll big diving plugs and do tuna,  it should be a good piece for that.

nice, if this small reel can do a tuna fishing even if are those football sized ones, it will be perfect for fishing in Cortez Sea in Baja, we dont have monster fish, even the yellowtails are below 20#

it looks really odd on a rod

Im not sure if put this reel on a spinning rod or a casting rod LOL

it is designed to be mounted below the rod like a spinning reel,it does look funny but,so does an abu 7000 on top of the rod to some.

it looks really odd on a rod

Im not sure if put this reel on a spinning rod or a casting rod LOL

Pick it, I would guess. One can use a spinner with a casting rod. So why not a conventional spinning reel with a spinning rod It works if ya work it!

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

well, the natural rod for this reel will be the spinning rod cuz the spine curve of the rod based is on the guides and how much it flex on a fight

if I use a casting rod will have to be used backwards in order to put the reel and have the guides pointing to the bottom and thats not the natural flex of  the spine of the casting rod

in any case which rod is used the reel is supposed to be below the rod.this reel is not designed to be casted although,I am sure someone that's good could cast it but,I would not bother to try as there are casting reels out there.

H-H

I have seen a video of that rig on a boat a few years ago,it seemed to be a great idea fordoing the boat thing.

also it looked to have great cranking power as the center of gravity is low and the folks using it looked comfortable.

for those that troll big diving plugs and do tuna,it should be a good piece for that.

maybe Don B. will chime in with more info as he has been around.

H-H

"as he has been around." Are you referring to my age?  More is better!  

I have sent an email to the Omoto product manager.

Don

"as he has been around." Are you referring to my age?  More is better!  

I have sent an email to the Omoto product manager.

Don

of course not Don,you have been around fishing a good while and I don't doubt you know your stuff.

anyhow,you are only 29 years old,that ain't old!.

H-H

ps-those underhead reels were on their website a few years ago but,not now.

Edited by Roddy

Hi Roddy,

Here's the response from Omoto: with edit

"According to <Omoto's owner>, the reel shown in the link is what we made in Y2000, but it has been discontinued for a long time."  

"anyhow,you are only 29 years old,that ain't old!."

No, my wife just turned 29 for the ___ time. (fill in the blank at my risk)

Don

Hi Roddy,

Here's the response from Omoto: with edit

"According to <Omoto's owner>, the reel shown in the link is what we made in Y2000, but it has been discontinued for a long time."  

"anyhow,you are only 29 years old,that ain't old!."

No, my wife just turned 29 for the ___ time. (fill in the blank at my risk)

Don

well Don,I want you to be around a long time so we'll leave that space blank.

sure wish Omoto still made the Hubilie,nice reel and cool looking as well as powerful.

H-H