Fishing alone at night! How do you do it?

Rate this topic

redboy

Im kinda new to surf fishing been at it for a few years , mostly would fish during the day. Recently i started fishing at night to avoid some crowds and what not but im having a hard time walking the beach at night , idk it just creeps me out especially wading out in the surf. If i find an area where people are fishing i'm ok but if i am alone any type of noise im like WTF was that (i know usually its just waves crashing or something)????

So my question is how do some of you guys walk the beach at night alone and fish ? Anyone have similar feelings and worked through it and now are able to just fish anytime at night anywhere???  Any tips that might help me out???

Its driving me crazy i have a spot that's holding some nice fish that i landed my pb at , the only problem is the bite really heats up at night...

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Never been nervous at night myself I welcome the night

However given that you do need to take precautions and less risk, don't get swept out into the ocean for a extra 2ft distance wading in the surf, be smart and minimize risks again it's at night and rescue may not be available as a crowded beach

Otherwise knock on wood other than some ballsy raccoons I've never had an issue and I fish 85% of the time at night

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

I fish 95% at night.  I used to be a little nervous when I wetsuited.  You kinda just build up tolerance.  Every season at the beginning of the season I get some kind of adrenaline rush, and then it fades very quickly as I am used to it.  Just keep exposing yourself to it and you will get over it.  I find that using a light (which I don't) actually makes it worse because you see shadows and rocks become seals and sharks, etc.  Best to just live in the blackness.

Be safe!

I usually fish the day and I too recently started going out at night. I found the surf to be a little overwhelming at first so I went to the bays, with the calmer water I was able to relax and you'll notice that after 30mins-1hour you get some of your night vision.

Try doing bay stuff once or twice before going to the surf, get more comfortable with the area you go to. If your going to go surf side go during the day and take note of any obstacles or structures that make for a problem at night or a good waypoint.

And also, I usually only carry a small line knife with me during the day, at night, I have a large knife attached to me at all times. Gives me some peace of mind

Just be happy that you are able to be out there fishing and not stuck in traffic, arguing with the wife/boss or a thousand other unpleasant situations. Don't be afraid of imaginary demons, the real ones are in all of us. Many years ago I was a bit, ok more than a bit, sketchy in the dark. Now it's F U bring it on.

I remember the 1st time I fished the bay at night like it was 2 months ago.. (*it was) kinda creepy but once you are in the "zone" it goes away.... well... almost goes away... my boot got bumped by a horney horseshoe crab while I was in thigh high water and my heart rate went through the roof... When I realized what it was that kept bumping me - I had a little laugh and kept going.

Edited by paspar2

I never thought about it but yeah you have to build up your tolerance.

I've only fished days and once I started fishing nights there's so many more positives at night. Especially when targeting bass and blues. But I'll still go at day to fluke.

I think best thing is to do is go there at day and wait till it gets dark. So you're familiar with your surroundings intimately. Then stay as long as you like. If it's your first few times use your head lamp liberally and don't care if others look at you nasty. Gotta do what you need to get comfortable.

Also if things are questionable during the day , don't do it night.

And remember there's small critters you don't see much during the day that lurk at night.

There's no question that night time on a beach can be a little spooky.  

Just summon up your courage and focus on the fishing,gradually the night becomes less threatening.

You could start singing "whenever I feel alone ,I whistle a Happy Tune".....I did that once and was greeted by a hail of needlefish...so scratch that idea!

Then again you could surmise that just because on all the Ancient Alien tv shows, it's the guy fishing alone  AT NIGHT who gets abducted....who is to say that the aliens will select you for

a life long surveilance ?  I wear a pointed tinfoil hat over my head...that foils them!

Seriously, the nighttime is always the right time to fish for stripers.   Believe in yourself and carry at least two good lights.   SLOW AND STEADY as she goes.

Just tell yourself that you are as brave as the next guy,you'll be fine.

Here's a funny story.  One time on a Montauk rocky beach, I set up to start fishing.  It was one of those pitch black moonless nights.

Suddenly I hear this squeaky low voice about 40 yards east of me.  Whoever this fellow was.....he was talking to himself for about an hour.

I am casting and moving his way and eventually he sees my light go on as I take off a fish.

He turns out to be a friend of a friend, who I had met once before socially.

I said"Who the heck were you chatting with for the last hour?"

He said"Sorry I always get nervous  being alone on the beach at night and sometimes I talk to myself!

I didn't realize that anyone was within earshot."

When you are alone on a dark beach, sometimes any human voice is comforting, even if it is your own.

Last fall I fished at night in Montauk for the first time.  Parked at a trailhead and hiked down to the beach, trying to avoid the crowds.  Scariest part was when my headlamp lit up the eyes of the many deer I encountered along the trail.  That was spooky because all you could see were these bright illuminated orbs in the middle of the woods.  

I like what mike3dr said - start at dusk and work into the night so the slide into darkness is gradual.  Good luck and be safe.    

Try to get there right before the sun starts to set. Take that time to notice your surroundings and the main area that youll be fishing at night. Look for rocks, pilings, bars, etc. Once you do that once or twice and fish it into the night youll be set. I do that for all of my new spots.