Can't trust what you're being told

Rate this topic

Santiago II

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/science/maligned-study-on-gay-marriage-is-shaking-trust.html?action=click&contentCollection=Health&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

Amazing what little scrutiny politically correct research is subject to. It's over the top how bad something has to be to get noticed:

"He was a graduate student who seemingly had it all: drive, a big idea and the financial backing to pay for a sprawling study to test it.

In 2012, as same-sex marriage advocates were working to build support in California, Michael LaCour, a political science researcher at the University of California, Los Angeles, asked a critical question: Can canvassers with a personal stake in an issue — in this case, gay men and women — actually sway voters’ opinions in a lasting way?

He would need an influential partner to help frame, interpret and place into context his findings — to produce an authoritative scientific answer. And he went to one of the giants in the field, Donald P. Green, a Columbia University professor and co-author of a widely used text on field experiments.

A new study that used door-to-door canvassing to assess voters' attitudes toward same-sex marriage found that gay canvassers could trigger a persistent change in those attitudes.Gay Advocates Can Shift Same-Sex Marriage ViewsDEC. 11, 2014

“I thought it was a very ambitious idea, so ambitious that it might not be suitable for a graduate student,” said Dr. Green, who signed on as a co-author of Mr. LaCour’s study in 2013. “But it’s such an important question, and he was very passionate about it.”

Photo

Marcia McNutt, editor in chief of Science, said editors there were still grappling with a decision on retracting the study. Credit Drew Angerer for The New York Times

Last week, their finding that gay canvassers were in fact powerfully persuasive with people who had voted against same-sex marriage — published in December in Science, one of the world’s leading scientific journals — collapsed amid accusations that Mr. LaCour had misrepresented his study methods and lacked the evidence to back up his findings......"

Edited by Santiago II
Laus Deo

I can see that.  Fear of reprisal.  We now have homosexuals openly advocating burning people's businesses down for simply disagreeing with the "sphinctercentric" point of view

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand