PSA - Respect your surroundings

Rate this topic

Just a friendly public service announcement to PLEASE try and respect your surroundings while out fishing.

• If you bring bait bags out fishing, take them back with you when you're done.
  • If you have a dunkies coffee, bring that styrofoam cup back.
  • Bottom line, take your trash out with you.
  • If you are trespassing (legitimately trespassing), don't be a DB when someone asks you to leave, or move your illegally parked car.
  • When fishing in the middle of the night in a residential area, turn down your radio and stop talking like a public speaker in front of large audience without a microphone. 
  • There is no need to slam your doors.

Sounds simple, but some people just can't seem to do these things. You are only going to ruin fishing for yourselves, and those who actually respect the places they are fishing, and the people who live there. Enough complaints will only increase awareness by the authorities. 

F TOMBO

Just a friendly public service announcement to PLEASE try and respect your surroundings while out fishing.

• If you bring bait bags out fishing, take them back with you when you're done.
  • If you have a dunkies coffee, bring that styrofoam cup back.
  • Bottom line, take your trash out with you.
  • If you are trespassing (legitimately trespassing), don't be a DB when someone asks you to leave, or move your illegally parked car.
  • When fishing in the middle of the night in a residential area, turn down your radio and stop talking like a public speaker in front of large audience without a microphone. 
  • There is no need to slam your doors.

Sounds simple, but some people just can't seem to do these things. You are only going to ruin fishing for yourselves, and those who actually respect the places they are fishing, and the people who live there. Enough complaints will only increase awareness by the authorities. 

I watched a teenage kid on a jetty open up a rapala box, put the lure on, catch nothing and leave the box behind. I did my duty of catching fish and threw away his box.

I watched a teenage kid on a jetty open up a rapala box, put the lure on, catch nothing and leave the box behind. I did my duty of catching fish and threw away his box.

I talked to a couple of younger guys last season out in a spot where I don't see too many others. They were chunking right where I was headed, so I went out beyond them to work another spot until they took off. When I went back, there were two bait bags and about 8 empty beers sitting on the rocks. I also proceeded to pick up their crap. And we wonder why access is getting more limited by those who live near the water...

F TOMBO

Assinine.  :dismay: And unfortunately not usually limited to one spot. Often on the way out to a point or bar or beach break, I'll see empties, beer "suitcase" cartons, mono, and other garbage dumped on the fringe of some beachfront owners property. It's amazing to me that some of these access points remain open.

-bd

Pfantum Pfishah

I was pretty bummed out over the weekend when I found empty packages of senkos littering the ground at one of my favorite trout spots. 

It's a nice little hidden gem not far west of the city, and I simply cannot fathom why someone would want to go there trash the place. 

When I was a kid, my grandfather's property was on a pond. He allowed access to everyone, he even cleared a small parking area.

There were people using it and leaving bait containers, packaging, beer cans etc. 

He posted a notice that he was closing access if this continued.

Within 2 days, a trash barrel appeared. Some great fisherman would empty the barrel , I never found out who he/she was.  Gramp kept it open until he passed.

I know so many that clean up after these so called sportsmen. You are the true sportsmen !

I don't know what it is about fishermen, esp saltwater fishermen? :dismay:

Back when I was young, deer hunters had this rap. But they really seemed to have cleaned up their act.   I know bird hunters (I'm among them) who try and pick up their empty casings rather than leave them in the woods. I rarely see hunter's trash in the woods anymore.

But fishermen just don't seem to get it at times. I think in many cases people simply don't want to bring the smelly empty squid, pogy and mackerel bags back to their vehicles after they've been baking in the sun all day attracting flies.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I don't know what it is about fishermen, esp saltwater fishermen? :dismay:

Back when I was young, deer hunters had this rap. But they really seemed to have cleaned up their act.   I know bird hunters (I'm among them) who try and pick up their empty casings rather than leave them in the woods. I rarely see hunter's trash in the woods anymore.

But fishermen just don't seem to get it at times. I think in many cases people simply don't want to bring the smelly empty squid, pogy and mackerel bags back to their vehicles after they've been baking in the sun all day attracting flies.

If the bait shops sold there bait in cardboard or paper rather than plastic that would be a big help..........