What should I invest more money on, the reel or rod?

Rate this topic

Jimbofisher627

I would go after the reel first, both go together and are equally important though. Since you can get a better Rod for less money, I myself would focus strictly on a quality reel. There are a lot of very good rods under $200/$250, but only a select a select amount of reels that will last in that range. Are you surf fishing or pier/boat? That makes a difference too.

Alex

Edited by asrodowski

If you can dream it, I can meme it.

I would go after the reel first, both go together and are equally important though. Since you can get a better Rod for less money, I myself would focus strictly on a quality reel. There are a lot of very good rods under $200/$250, but only a select a select amount of reels that will last in that range. Are you surf fishing or pier/boat? That makes a difference too.

I'm fishing from the surf, and what reels would you buy under that 200$ price range?

Best investment is in the LINE, then comes your knowledge in the best knots, then comes the reel and then the rod.

But you shouldn't invest in one ignoring the other, matching the reel with the rod is as important as matching an engine with a gear box.

In proportions , price range and intended use. Most 150$ reels can handle most of what you throw at them besides submerging and heavy loads( huge fish or fast water) but a high end rod will often give you a lighter,more sensitive rod with more power so as a general answer I would pick the rod unless your swimming ,jigging tuna or fishing the ditch.

plays well with others

Rod.  The rod really does all the work of casting and most of the work fighting fish.  You have a crappy rod and the whole experience becomes inefficient and unpleasant.  I'd rather have a good rod (i.e. the right rod) and a $100 reel, than have a crappy rod and a $500 reel.

Starting out, I would get a quality reel. Rods tend to be application specific, but a reel can be used in many different situations.

A quality reel is only as good as you take care of it. Just because you paid a little extra, you still are not exempt from keeping it in good condition.

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot.