Convince me

Rate this topic

I've been a Jersey fisherman for my entire life.  My wife now wants to take a look at housing in the Rehoboth Beach area.  Convince me that I need to move here to fish the beaches of DE.  Thanks for your input.

Hard to compare fishing with housing.

Jersey fishing = wins

Delaware housing/living expenses = wins

Delaware is ranked as having the 24th highest tax burden in the nation. It has no sales tax. It is the 43rd highest for per capita property taxes; social security income is not taxed; and part of pension income is not taxed. DE has an estate tax.

NJ has the #1 highest state for state/local taxes, according to the Tax Foundation. Its top income tax rate is 8.97%; sales tax is 7%. NJ has the highest per-capita property taxes in the nation. Social security is not taxed. It has a double whammy estate tax and an inheritance tax.

Move to Delaware, have more money to spend on tackle and gas and commute back to Jersey to fish. Happy wife, happy life.  :)

:witty: ......do you like to eat out a lot?  Rehoboth Beach = Restaurant Capital of the World.  :drool:  Fishing is great here too...if you go offshore 60 miles.  :shock: Or fish IRI from a small boat.  :th: Happy wife, happy life???? :thdwn:   Dunno who came up with that one.   :headscratch:   Misguided for sure. :D  RE taxes are low, :th:  RE prices are rising all the time.  Builders :rav: are trying to make up for lost time during the bubble. :thumbd:   Entire state political scene is controlled by the northern county. :thumbd:   BYE :howdy:

Edited by fm/nj
...fm/nj

Im in a similar boat but not really.   I like north jersey fishing,  mil lives in ocean view.   I don't think there is any comparison for stripers and blues.  There is a reason the shops down there don't have big lure/ plug selections.  The advantage may be summetime fishing.    De may have better fluking and the tog regulations are better.  there are other species that are down there but I'm not trading nj for de for now.  But the housing and having a place to stay is nice. 

Edited by crazybellringer

Im in a similar boat but not really.   I like north jersey fishing,  mil lives in ocean view.   I don't think there is any comparison for stripers and blues.  There is a reason the shops down there don't have big lure/ plug selections.  The advantage may be summetime fishing.    De may have better fluking and the tog regulations are better.  there are other species that are down there but I'm not trading nj for de for now.  But the housing and having a place to stay is nice. 

also little croakers are abundant in the summer. 

We need to keep the riffraff up north anyway  :wave:

Edited by castnet

I've been a Jersey fisherman for my entire life.  My wife now wants to take a look at housing in the Rehoboth Beach area.  Convince me that I need to move here to fish the beaches of DE.  Thanks for your input.

Sorry.  We're full.

Check back in a few years.

Sorry.  We're full.

Check back in a few years.

Now that's funny !   

86  You'll be pleasantly surprised in DE  .   There is quite a bit of truth to all the good points made .  It's like anything else .... You move into uncharted waters .... you wade out and check it out . IRI  can be a very exciting place to fish if you time it right . ....and living in the Rehoboth area , you R literally right there . You won't be nearly as happy with the surf , IMO  .... Just doesn't have the structure that Jersey has .      

Look at it this way living in DE you'll have more money to travel back to Jersey for some quality fishing......... As others have said financially the advantage goes to DE. Beach fishing? BIG advantage to Jersey from Barnagate to Sandy Hook. It's like a completely different ocean experience in Jersey compared to here in DE.

I live in Newark DE and it is the same distance to IRI or the SFZ in Jersey..... I drive to Jersey 99 out of 100 times. 

If you bait fish the advantage narrows a bit but plugging or fly fishing there just is no comparison at all.... Jersey at the SFZ wins hands down to the best of our waters here

Edited by Jim DE