penn710z part

Rate this topic

Some years ago I blew a main gear in a 710.  In my case the post was not secure to the gear itself.  Best way I can describe it is that you could wiggle the post.  As I was searching for a replacement at local tackle shops, I seem to remember someone telling me that that was a recurrent problem, or that there was a bad run of parts, or something like that.  I think I wound up ordering the replacement from Scotts.

Fish the edges.

Most people recommend that you replace both gears together. I would take apart the whole reel and service it if you had a failure like that. Those reels are very simple. Replace those gears and it will probably last another 50 years. 

Agree!!! Change out those two parts and you are good to go for many, many more years. That's an old reel you have (I know I have Mitchell 302s and 402s -- other oldie but goody reels, still hauling in fish) -- parts simply wear out, which seems to what happened in your case. I buy when I can find them NOS parts and stash them away for exactly the reason you encountered. Alternately I buy some junkers on Fleabay, strip them for parts, examine each part, keep the good ones, and toss the rest. I built one hybrid reel from two 302s and a 402, and a 302 by combing the best remaining parts and a couple of NOS parts. Tossed the rest. 

• 3 weeks later...

From my understanding, the most common way to ruin the teeth of the drive gear like that is to reel against the drag (while a fish is running the drag).  The pressure from the line tweaks things just enough out of alignment to reeling will damage parts.  I imagine this is especially true if the drag is tight.  

Bad parts theories and normal wear aside, I suspect that is what happened to you.  Having gear teeth crushed isn't "just wearing out."  That is damage.  The Penn Z-series uses quality metal in the gears, and the worm gear drive system maximizes tooth contact between the drive gear and the pinion gear.  That shouldn't have happened with normal use.  

Remember, bring the fish in with the ROD and use the reel to take up slack.  

You are certainly in good company.  I destroyed the drive gear on a Mitchell 406 doing exactly that!  Live and learn I guess (and buy replacement parts!! ;) ).  

• 2 weeks later...

"From my understanding, the most common way to ruin the teeth of the drive gear like that is to reel against the drag (while a fish is running the drag).  The pressure from the line tweaks things just enough out of alignment to reeling will damage parts.  I imagine this is especially true if the drag is tigh".

that's exactly what happened.  I had the drag down tight cause i was at a shore spot where following the fish was impossible.  The fish hit...i thought i had stalemated her & tried to pump & reel, and as i started a crank the fish took off and the reel made an unhappy noise. 

Edited by NedRyerson

The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed.

-Casey Stengel