Quabbin Question

Rate this topic

Skitter

Gate 8 has  a little fishing pier right behind the shed where the guys work who check your boat or rent you boats.

There are a couple of feeder streams in the cove behind the pier so decent sized fish can show up there. It might get crowded on opening weekend so I can't guarantee if you can get on it easily with a wheel chair.

Anyone know a gate with easy close access to water?

Good friend is in wheel chair and rough shape and I am all messed up as well.

Thank you for any info.

Skitter

Hey Mike, I would call the Quabbin Visitor Center and ask them about the whats and wheres of handicap fishing access.......

413-323-7221  Or the Quabbin DCR number...........

At gate 31 there are a number of spots you could "roll" right up to... There is a horse shoe dam with a bridge that is a short distant from parking...

Best of luck when you get out!

Said bridge is at gate 43 and is the active vehicle and boat entrance to the ramp area, and there is very little extra space when vehicles are active, hence all the "no fishing" signs and painted notifications on the bridge itself (which everyone ignores, sure.) Point is, unless there's a grudge you're settling, I wouldn't suggest that spot for a chair!

There is accessible shoreline at both 31 and 43 near parking.

Calling the visitors center is a good start; they will give you the best info and possibly make arrangements for your guest. It's a beautiful resource and I hope you and your friend get to enjoy it!

Edited by kirkenplop

Anyone know how bad opening day is for boat rentals? I know mid week isn't bad never went on a weekend let alone opening weekend

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." ~Author Unknown

Anyone know how bad opening day is for boat rentals? I know mid week isn't bad never went on a weekend let alone opening weekend

They typically sell out at gate open, meaning folks that wait in line. Most guys that want a solid shot at a boat get in the car line at 3-4 AM.

They typically sell out at gate open, meaning folks that wait in line. Most guys that want a solid shot at a boat get in the car line at 3-4 AM.

I suppose I'll stick to going with my mid week trips if that's the case never had a line or any issue getting a boat then lol

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." ~Author Unknown