For Anyone Who Kayaks Fishes On The North Shore... Is A Rudder Needed?

Rate this topic

qbny94

Probably buying a feelfree Moken 12.5.. is a rudder needed for fishing on the North Shore bays and a little into the sound (not far out)... I would rather not pay another $250 for rudder unless it really is necessary for fishing on the North Shore. 

Have you paddled that kayak yet? how did it track? a rudder isnt really specific to an area its more for specific kayak designs. my first kayak a cobra explorer didnt have a rudder and i didnt miss it but was shaped completly dfferent then the one your looking at. Have you kayaked before? the trick to keep going straight is to transfer the energy from paddeling intot the yak and not your lower back, so picture your paddeling and the right paddle blade just entered the water, so pull back with your right arm and punch forward with your left,  but also push forward intot he footwell of the yak with your left foot, ths helps keep you heading straight. hope that rambing helped

I have kayaked before and haven't tested this exact kayak yet.. but everything I've read says it tracks well and straight. I will be using the kayak for fishing so I was wondering if it makes fishing kayaking easier since its hard to fish and paddle at the same time. 

There is currently a discussion on the subject in the yak forum. You only need a paddle to kayak fish, but wind, current, and many corrective strokes to stay straight all diminish when you have a rudder IMHO.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.