Need Abu Reel Part Id

Rate this topic

I recently installed a recent 5.3:1 multidisk drag set in a flat-side 5500c, which didn't require much modification, but I had to drill the pinion thru at .140" to make it work with the live spindle of the flat-side reel. I would like to use the improved drag stack but retain the I modified 4.7:1 pinion for strength an durability. Does anyone know of an Abu 5xxx/6xxx model that uses the multidisk drag stack and the 4.7:1 gear set? I've already asked Jerry Foran and he couldn't think of any, but hope springs eternal. Thanks in advance.

Glad this is your project and not mine.  :)

I don't think there is  a 4.7-1 with 3 stack drag. There is however a 5600C4 winch model with a #24973 gear (obsolete) and a #24972 pinion(available).

You might be able to track one down as NOS or pick up a used parts reel.

Carbon fiber drags are available for the 5500C (84-2). It has only 2 drags but it has a fairly substantial drag surface area. Probably not as good as the 3 stack, but probably not terrible either.

I am curious why you didn't follow through and use  an ultra cast spool, bearings, and axle. You wouldn't have had to drill the pinion just clip the end of the (too long) axle.

Keep up the good work,

Lew  :)

BEAVERTON, OR 97006

Thanks for the lead on the 5600 winch...I figured there must be something. As a matter of fact, I did build a flat side 5500c with a live spindle and an ultracast spool, but it's a little lively and needs a mag cast control, which I took from a Mag Elite. I used a spool from a Akios 555 Tourno And a shortened Akios 6 size spindle, which is the same size in the pinion area as the integral spool Abu, therefore stiffer than the ultracast spindle. I used a 4x10x4 bearing in the left side plate and a 3x10x4 in the right. The live spindle didn't improve casting distance, but the heavier spindle and two extra bearings do make for a smooth retrieve. I'll eventually add this setup to the reel I'm working on now, but haven't decided whether to go with the mag elite cast control or try a knobby mag.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to convert an Abu to an undercount, and after going through all the combinations of upside down and backwards I can think of, have come to the conclusion that the simplest way is to just move the foot to the top of the reel. Could work.

• 1 year later...

Glad this is your project and not mine.  :)

I don't think there is  a 4.7-1 with 3 stack drag. There is however a 5600C4 winch model with a #24973 gear (obsolete) and a #24972 pinion(available).

You might be able to track one down as NOS or pick up a used parts reel.

Carbon fiber drags are available for the 5500C (84-2). It has only 2 drags but it has a fairly substantial drag surface area. Probably not as good as the 3 stack, but probably not terrible either.

I am curious why you didn't follow through and use  an ultra cast spool, bearings, and axle. You wouldn't have had to drill the pinion just clip the end of the (too long) axle.

Keep up the good work,

Lew  :)

Bunnymoney, do you have a part number to buy the carbon fiber drags for the old 5500C?  Thanks

Replacement carbon fiber drags are available from smooth drag dot com.

Part # 053-B  if your washers look like this:  (only one skinny and one full, two washers, not four)

Bunnymoney, do you have a part number to buy the carbon fiber drags for the old 5500C?  Thanks

part_p_1434318_4264041682.gif

Part # 079 if your washers look like this: 

part_p_1435079_365008203.gif

BEAVERTON, OR 97006

Smooth drag numbers are 053-B for 1988 to 1990. Part 079 for 1970 to 1987. Part 5500CA 5 piece for 1993 up.

Dawn's numbers are off a bit according to the schematics available at ereplacements. The 053-B start at least as early as the 5500c 84-2 

5500_C_(84-2)_WW_1.gif

The 5500C 81-01-00 has two 10271s  (17 & 19)

5500_C_(81-08-00)_WW_1.gif

The 079 s seem to end around 1979 :)

BEAVERTON, OR 97006