NYIsles55

St Croix Triumph Surf Vs Mojo Surf

51 posts in this topic

Since I posted,my Triumph went caput. The reel seat became lose and the wrap unraveled. 12 weeks of hard fishing but still pissed me off it didn't last long before degrading. I replaced it with an Avid 8' inshore through the waranty upgrade program St Croix has. Good customer service but I can't recommend the Triumph based on my experience now. I'll be fishing the Avid just as hard if not more. Hopefully it will last the season.

I have the SSV6500 paired with a MOJO 10-6, works great for me, I fish out at "M" with no problems, just trying to pick the right line. 

There's a post on here about the Triumph reel seat twisting, my bro in law had the same issue. You might want to read that post before deciding.

There's a post on here about the Triumph reel seat twisting, my bro in law had the same issue. You might want to read that post before deciding.

Thanks.

How about the 9 foot Medium Fast Triumph? A good rod for surf & pier fishing?

I have the 9' triumph. I think it's a nice rod for the money. I use it for plugging on jetties. Has enough backbone for slinging 10 pound blues onto the rocks. I also use it on the beach for kingfish. It is longer butt to reel seat than mojo and longer than some prefer so check that out.

On 9/27/2016 at 0:36 PM, Kima said:

Have you tried the big auction site? I buy a few used rods there from time to time.

Kima, when referred to the "big auction site", are your referring to Ebay / Amazon?

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:45 PM, JimJ said:

I have the 9' triumph. I think it's a nice rod for the money. I use it for plugging on jetties. Has enough backbone for slinging 10 pound blues onto the rocks. I also use it on the beach for kingfish. It is longer butt to reel seat than mojo and longer than some prefer so check that out.

Good call pointing out the long butt section. Nice rod otherwise. At least for me I have to loose 6 inches off the rear so it's more like an 8 1/2 but still a nice rod. I wouldn't dare sling a 10 lb fish onto the rocks like Jim but if he is doing that it's even a better rod than I thought.

1 hour ago, Tymers112 said:

Kima, when referred to the "big auction site", are your referring to Ebay / Amazon?

Ebay

Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4 is my plugging rod. Infinitely better than the 10' 1-4 (way too stiff). 5 year warranty with the mojo as compared to only 1 with the triumph. I know you will like the mojo better. Treat yo self and get it. 

3 mins ago, captahab416 said:

Mojo 10'6" 3/4-4 is my plugging rod. Infinitely better than the 10' 1-4 (way too stiff). 5 year warranty with the mojo as compared to only 1 with the triumph. I know you will like the mojo better. Treat yo self and get it. 

They are both 5 year warranty. But mojo has much better components. Except reel seat, most all twist over time. 3/4-4 has glass in the tip, 1-4 doesnt..