NYIsles55

St Croix Triumph Surf Vs Mojo Surf

51 posts in this topic

I just found this thread, forgive me if it's too old to resurrect! I fished my Triumph 10' 3-6 hours a day for 12 weeks and the reel seat became lose. I have just sent to back and decided to upgrade to the mojo. I'm reconsidering (it's not set in stone yet.) in searching the archives I'm seeing this issue for all St Croix surf rods including their high end Avids and Ledgends. I really like the Triumph but the reel seat issue happened very quickly and I'm not all that enthusiastic about having to send back whatever St Croix I replace it with every few months... If I upgrade for. $80 I'd want the "better" rod to last at least the 5 year warranty but maybe not?

Not sure what to do here...

I also had a loose reel seat on a mojo but it happened in one of first uses and it sounds like most issues happen early in rod life while rods are under warranty. If seat comes loose after triumph Warranty expires the seat can be permanently fixed by drilling small holes in it and injecting glue. So if you really like the triumph I would replace it. If you get the mojo I would get the 10'6 3/4-4 since its action is closer to that of the triumph 10'. I have the mojo 10' and it is much stiffer more backbone but needs heavier lures to load up

I also had a loose reel seat on a mojo but it happened in one of first uses and it sounds like most issues happen early in rod life while rods are under warranty. If seat comes loose after triumph Warranty expires the seat can be permanently fixed by drilling small holes in it and injecting glue. So if you really like the triumph I would replace it. If you get the mojo I would get the 10'6 3/4-4 since its action is closer to that of the triumph 10'. I have the mojo 10' and it is much stiffer more backbone but needs heavier lures to load up

That's what I'm thinking of replacing it with - 10'6" 3/4-4. I have a 9'6" airwave elite 3/4-3 on itts way also. I'll probably try both and pick one unless each ends up as a compliment to the other.

Did you replace your mojo? If so have you had any issues with the replacement? I fish a lot, every day for at least 3 hours of casting on the beach so if like to know if a mojo can handle day after day for more than a few months!

I have 10' 1-4 oz. and the 10'6 2-6 oz. mojos. The 10' had the loose seat and the replacement has been good so far after about 30-40 outings. I boat fish most of the time so the surf rods only get used 20-30 outings per year and mostly throwing bait on long sandy south jersey beach. I had the 10' premier which was very similar in action to the 10' triumph and find the 10' mojo is much stiffer which I find ok as a light bait rod but too stiff for plugs and swimmers around an 1 oz.

Those with the 10' Triumph, what would you say the sweet spot is?

I would say around 2oz. I can really launch a 2 1/4 tsunami talkin popper with this rod. I also like this rod for casting sp minnows. I have thrown as low as 3/4oz bucktails with ok distance.

Those with the 10' Triumph, what would you say the sweet spot is?

I haven't used the 10, but I have the 8 and spent a lot of time with the 9.  These rods are stiff.  They really like to throw 3 ounces or so.

I haven't used the 10, but I have the 8 and spent a lot of time with the 9.  These rods are stiff.  They really like to throw 3 ounces or so.[/quote

I have the 9' and agree it is stiff with backbone and I like for jetty fishing. Slung a few 12-15 pound blues into the rocks with it in the spring. My buddy has the 10' and it has softer tip section than the 10'. I agree with jkjhung above on sweet spot for 10'. For light bait fishing it likes 2-3 oz.

I have the 10' Triumph and 10'6" Mojo 3/4-4oz

The triumph in my experience is too moderate and excels between 1.5-2.75 oz lures.

The Mojo has better "feel" than the Triumph, possibly due to the 70/30 split, as close to a single piece rod action of a two-piece rod.

I'm also looking at the possibility of picking up a 2-6oz version for heavier lures since the sweet spot of the Mojo is similar to the Triumph.

FWIW I find the Triumph not stiff at all. It's,much faster than my Lamigras 1322-2. Of course that's what I have to compare so...! For my it is perfectly sensitive, I can feel my lures working, and when I set it up to catch whiting - little 1 lb morsels of deliciousness- it vibrates nice.y when hit.

Handels small 1 oz - 3 oz bucktails with ease, sps, mag darters and most plugs, like a champion.

I have one as a spare but have not fished it a few years.

Gonna buy a 10ft Truimph soon.

Really wish I could find some of the older model Premier & Avids.

Have you tried the big auction site? I buy a few used rods there from time to time.