Front Mount Hitch Receivers

Rate this topic

RichLou

Hey guys looking to purchase a 2 inch receiver mount for the front of my silverado for this spring. I've seen some online but I'd like to get suggestions from guys who actually use them. Thanks!

(*member formerly known as 'rookie surf')

Mass produced full width racks with a single receiver are very unstable as Lucky stated. My solution was to have my quick thinking, fabricating buddy look at it for two minutes. This works fine for me. I take it on and off the truck each trip as this is the wife's daily driver. Sooner or later I will have a different quick thinking, fabricating buddy build me a nice flat rack and mount that is easily removable.

post-23906-0-12907600-1428449269_thumb.jpg

post-23906-0-14629200-1428449640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Allen
My daddy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun!
(*member formerly known as 'PinMd)'

I like that Phil. For this spring looks like I'll have just a standard receiver with a surf cart on it. Then look to make changes to something sturdier or custom for a more permanent solution

Hey guys looking to purchase a 2 inch receiver mount for the front of my silverado for this spring. I've seen some online but I'd like to get suggestions from guys who actually use them. Thanks!

Try Tractor Supply..Mine is width adjustable. As for brand names I dont have any to offer. What Lucky said on bigger racks. Dual receivers. I think anything bigger than 80 quarts requires a double.  Btw..( Nice set up Phil ). Making a single not wobble takes some thinking.

Clearance is also important. Make sure your mount is high enough so your not rack plowing sand in the dips..Don't ask me how I know. 

Edited by 7nBait

Try Tractor Supply..Mine is width adjustable. As for brand names I dont have any to offer. What Lucky said on bigger racks. Dual receivers. I think anything bigger than 80 quarts requires a double.  Btw..( Nice set up Phil ). Making a single not wobble takes some thinking.

Clearance is also important. Make sure your mount is high enough so your not rack plowing sand in the dips..Don't ask me how I know. 

My favorite (and I see this multiple times per year) is the guy with a rear rack with no bolts in the rod holders, nicely plowing the sand behind the car with the butts of his rods.

Lol...will look at tractor supply. So far only checked out Amazon. Went and looked at one from Craigslist yesterday but it was custom made to fit the tow hooks on a 2500 and didn't fit my 1500. Wife said "buy yourself a new one...you never get yourself anything". So guess that means I can buy a new one without guilt.

I use a hitch clamp on mine and it stays ridged. Drilling holes in the square tube past the receiver just weakens it. I've seen racks like yours Phil, that the tube cracks in the middle of the curve, also seen some that had gussets welded on to prevent it, but with those 2 bar clamps, you should be good..........nice rig

Do a search for trailer hitch clamps, I couldn't find the one I have, probably discontinued but I found one that looks better.......search Roadmaster Quite Hitch. about $25

ASSUME NOTHING

So due to all of the overwhelming positive responses here to a font mounted hitch with a cart, I'm know leaning more towards a rod rack lol. I can't swing the $200+ this spring for a hitch and rod rack so I intend to do a bumper mount. Any suggestions on the install? I'm look at the fish n mate 6 rod on amazon for $137

Hey Koss it's a 2008 silverado 1500. My thoughts, not always the best idea, is get the rack for now and sell it later. My 2-3 trips to AI a year and what's becoming annual OBX vacations are my motivation for this. AtTheBar has a surf cart that we normally just put in the bed of my truck and transport our rods on his ski racks down to the beach but with me moving and having a chance to spend more time on the sand it's time for me to get something for now. I'm also going to look at some options for hanging my rods in the cab of my truck for driving to the beach.

I would put that money aside and call Gene Reynolds when you can swing it. You'll be so much happier.

Koss, do you know the ball park cost for one of those custom racks? My 97 Cherokee is so rusted underneath that I have been holding off for a number of years thinking the thing didn't have much life left. Probably should have just pulled the trigger years ago.