NJ Osprey Sightings

Rate this topic

SG1

Anyone see them yet in NJ?

Doesn't feel like the 1st day of spring. This is what the nest at IBSP looks like today (link to live camera below), but soon there will be chicks hatching and adults flying overhead with bunker & flounder grasped tightly in their talons.

Osprey Cam: http://thefriendsofislandbeach.org/osprey-cam/

SG!, if you remember, the male from that nesting pair was found dead last year pretty early on, the eggs were destroyed by predators and the female abandoned the nest.The female apparently found another mate, so it will be interesting to see if they return this year. Let's hope.

SG!, if you remember, the male from that nesting pair was found dead last year pretty early on, the eggs were destroyed by predators and the female abandoned the nest.The female apparently found another mate, so it will be interesting to see if they return this year. Let's hope.

A pair of birds showed up yesterday (check out the link in my first post). Fluke07 I had forgotten about the male last year. Let's see what these two do...

Interestingly none of the Ospreys near me have returned yet.   Sadly as well the ice that invaded the bay and tidal waters during the winter knocked down the poles used by the Ospreys so at least 3 nesting pair I know of will be looking for a new home.  

M~

UPDATE:  What a difference a day makes.   I took a ride this morning and ALL of the ospreys are back on there nests.   One of them whose platform was knocked over by the river ice was sitting on the ground in the very spot.  I am going to reach out to the wildlife folks who maintain the platform to see if they can replace it -  I'd even help if I can.  

Edited by pressphotog