Charter recommendations for Hatteras Mid- Sept 2015

Rate this topic

stoneyts

I'll be in Avon starting 9/12/15 for the week and am interested in doing an off-shore fishing trip. My dad will be with me and I'd like to do this as an early 76th birthday gift. What type of fish are usually targeted at that time of year? Can anyone recommend a charter that they have had experience with. Is off-shore a better trip than maybe sound fishing? I'd like to put something in the fridge. Thanks for you input in advance!

You can get into all kinds of fish down there in September.  Wahoo, mahi, possibly some yellowfin Tuna, and maybe marlin or sailfish.  If the fishing isn't that great, they can put you on bottom fish like grouper, triggers, and probably some amber jack too.

I've gone out with a fair number of captains down there, but my favorite is Andy Piland on "Goodtimes" out of Hatteras Harbor Marina.

And don't forget to bring a BIG cooler to take your fish home.  Haha they usually send you home with enough for more than a few meals.  If you feel like you are close to keeping as many fish as you can possibly eat, let them know so they don't keep throwing them in the box.

Things to expect to pay for:

~$1500 for the offshore trip (it can vary a little, but this is the standard)

~$200-300 or more for the mate's tip

~$100 or so for the fish cleaning and storage if you need it until you leave

Off shore I would talk to Jeff Ross on the Obsession. Great Fisherman. He is in mexico for the winter fishing sailfish..

Inshore have fished with a few down there. None I would recommend. Only tried 3 separate boats for inshore over the years. Gave up on inshore captains. Last guy we fished a half day trip...We caught on none keeper flounder...LOL.... Im sure there are better captains but im over it.

NCBBA # 12580

Last year we went out with Bo on the Full Draw out of the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center.  He was also the mate on the Skirt Chaser during my first off shore trip. He is a fantastic person and cannot recommend him enough.

i can say this about him, he will put you on quality fish. last year he chose to trek 50 miles north east to go after white marlin and large mahi as opposed to staying close (30 miles due east) and go after bailer dolphin and black fins.  we ended up hooking 7 white marlin, landing 4 and hooking 5 dolphin landing three very nice gaffers. 

if you would like to know any more feel free to shoot me a PM

-Sean

• 4 weeks later...