TheKnot

Every day carry knives

821 posts in this topic

1000 I have a ton of knives my dad and I used to have a small knife business ... From many dollars to just a few bucks .... But lately this has been my favorite ... Slim ,long enough blade, sharp and of course retro cool I tend to lean towards the all time classics ... And you don't know it's in your pocket also carry one in lunchbox to work .
wow! That brings back some memories! Had that same knife around 1970. Got it mail order out of a magazine I think. Maybe from Westbury sales. Carried in the hip pocket of my jeans back in the day.

[img= I have a ton of knives my dad and I used to have a small knife business ... From many dollars to just a few bucks .... But lately this has been my favorite ... Slim ,long enough blade, sharp and of course retro cool I tend to lean towards the all time classics ... And you don't know it's in your pocket also carry one in lunchbox to work .

Yup... K55 with carbon steel blade was my carry knife in the 70s. Don't often carry a knife now. When I do, Bahco K-AP-1. Similar to the K 55... kinda. It's flat....:)

ALT="Processed By eBay with ImageMagick,http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1831299/]

Wow, the K-55 Mercator from Westbury Sales! Forgot all about them.

High School all over again.

Back then it wasn't unusual for the teacher to borrow a student's knife if he forgot his own.

Not trying to steering this thread off on a tangent or give legal advice but there are some younger members here that may no be aware of how complex, tricky and down right crazy knife laws are from state to state. In many instances there are penalties for carrying certain types of knives on ones person and different penalties for carrying in ones vehicle. I would urge everyone to double check your state laws and the laws in neighboring states that you may visit. Google "Kinifeup". There is a lot of interesting info here regarding all of this along with people experiences. Also double check your actual state laws as well. In places like NYC there are additional laws on top of the state laws as well.

Wow, the K-55 Mercator from Westbury Sales! Forgot all about them.

High School all over again.

Back then it wasn't unusual for the teacher to borrow a student's knife if he forgot his own.

Do you remember how much they cost back then? Had to be less than $10?? Gone up a bit I'd say.

Do you remember how much they cost back then? Had to be less than $10?? Gone up a bit I'd say.

Can't remember exactly but they were cheap. Maybe under $5 (I don't think Westbury sales ever had an add for anything over $5 back then). I was shocked when I googled it after seeing the picture here to find out you can still get them but at about $30!!!!!!

Valid point redfin and good advise ,my buddy is an a retired sargent NYPD and gives me a hard time every time he see's my kershaw . I still carry it but i do know better

I checked out the knife law page, seems like it's illegal to conceal just about every knife above 3", but I couldn't find out if it's illegal to carry on your belt, can you carry a big hunting knife on your belt(Rambo size) or only multi-tool or folding knife? Pretty ridiculous one way or the other, is there any law against carrying a baseball bat around?

Ha! Old Westbury add for the 'black cat' $1 plus .25cents shipping handling!

Excellent. The "Cat" knife was recommended to me by a guy from New Orleans who I worked for in San Francisco during the late 60s and 1970. It's probably the best designed and built cheap knife I have seen. If they weren't $30, I'd get another.

Knives huh, like Ebbtide stated the other hobby, I have a affection for fixed blade knives, but I do have several folders, I always have my trusty swiss army in my pocket, its the only one I feel comfortable using at work and I use it everyday for some chore or another opening wine, to letting my guest use it to open boxes. then there is the other knife I carry which can vary pending on the mood. I have a pretty extensive knife collection from custom fixed blades to cheap ones. Hey Ebb here is PJ bowie that I purchased several years ago its my only MS blade and its just for looking at from time to time. the others are part of the carry rotation.