Calson

Daiwa Millionaire M7HTMAG reel

21 posts in this topic

and then there is my personal argument for my clever right hand to wind the reel.

Its all personal.

I disagree, you'll probably never get used to it, buy the left hand retrieve model if you are right handed. 95% of the people who try convench reels give them up because they can't get used to cranking a reel with their dominant hand and fighting a fish with the weaker arm, seems very unnatural and makes no sense, that is why all my reels are LH crank - spinning, convench and fly fishing.

By the way I believe the 7HT is only available in right hand retrieve?

I hated my millionaire 250-S and traded it with a member here,could not get used to cranking with me right hand.

now I can use any winch reel and both are as natural as peeing.

I say if you are vigilant he will adapt.

H-H

And how many left handed conventional models are available?? :)

It's called practice and patience. If you come from a freshwater bait casting background it's a no-brainer. With "practice" it does become second nature. With "practice" you'll be just as comfortable fishing a spinner retrieving with your left hand as a "right handed conventional" retrieving with your right.

Elect not to learn to retrieve a conventional with your right hand and you'll severely limit the models that will be available to you.

indeed!

H&H

Seeing a right handed person using a left crank baitcaster makes me think they learned to fish from watching TV/print ads.

When I cast, it is a natural motion to transfer rod to left hand, before bait/lure hits water, "palming" the reel, essentially choking up on the rod.  I can't imagine not changing hand position from casting to reeling, even if the rod stayed in the casting hand. 

Why would switch hands after the cast? Why not just use a left hand crank reel? This isn't 1957 where you have only 3 reel choices, if you like switching hands so much why don't use a right hand crank spinner too? I couldn't imagine being on the end of a jetty casting an eel with a reel you crank opposite hand, doesn't make sense, I can jig better with my dominant arm.

You gotta love the guys who say "just practice, you'll get used to it" have you even been around today's youth? Practice? They don't have time for that they want instant gratification. I bought about 30 left hand crank reels from a former member here named fish**** - he still has the biggest collection of left hand wind conventionals I have ever seen. Someone already said it that if they made more LH models more guys would use them, I believe that.

I am right handed and used a regular spinner for yrs,cranking  with my left hand .  BGT a convent with the same set up and hated it, traded it for right hand retrieve and am very comfortable,  I now use conventional for 90% of my fishing .  BTW I am a plugger no bait fishing at all,so I casting hundreds of times in an outing.