Calson

Daiwa Millionaire M7HTMAG reel

21 posts in this topic

I am interested in buying one of the Daiwa Millionaire reels but it appears from the picture to have a "left hand" retrieve, i.e. the rod is held in the right hand and the left hand turns the handle.  Is that correct?

Penn uses the phrase "reel handle position" with its conventional reels and will state it is on the "right" side of the reel body. A spinning reel that is cranked with the right hand while the rod is held in the left hand is considered to be a "left handed" reel. More than a little confusing.

A conventional reel that is "right handed" will will cranked with your right hand. The left hand will support the rod and also you will use your left thumb to level your line if you are buying a non-levelwind reel.

Seems backwards but you'll get used to it in no time.

I disagree, you'll probably never get used to it, buy the left hand retrieve model if you are right handed. 95% of the people who try convench reels give them up because they can't get used to cranking a reel with their dominant hand and fighting a fish with the weaker arm, seems very unnatural and makes no sense, that is why all my reels are LH crank - spinning, convench and fly fishing.

By the way I believe the 7HT is only available in right hand retrieve?

And how many left handed conventional models are available?? :)

It's called practice and patience. If you come from a freshwater bait casting background it's a no-brainer. With "practice" it does become second nature. With "practice" you'll be just as comfortable fishing a spinner retrieving with your left hand as a "right handed conventional" retrieving with your right.

Elect not to learn to retrieve a conventional with your right hand and you'll severely limit the models that will be available to you.

I am left handed which means I have had to learn to use both hands equally well in a right handed world. I golf, shoot a bow, use right handed scissors, and find it easier to hold the rod with my left hand and wind with my right so I have no problems with most conventional reels and have switched all my spinning reels so the handle is on the right side.

The Daiwa photos though make it look like the M7HTMAG  has the handle on the left side and would like to know before I order one. It was a lot easier when there were tackle shops with lots of stock but those days have passed. 

I fish both right and left hand retrieve conventional reels. For a freshwater baitcaster I prefer lefty but for a larger chunking / casting convench I like righty. for larger fish that you want to really put the screws to I believe its better to have your dominant hand doing the cranking. 

I am left handed which means I have had to learn to use both hands equally well in a right handed world. I golf, shoot a bow, use right handed scissors, and find it easier to hold the rod with my left hand and wind with my right so I have no problems with most conventional reels and have switched all my spinning reels so the handle is on the right side.

The Daiwa photos though make it look like the M7HTMAG  has the handle on the left side and would like to know before I order one. It was a lot easier when there were tackle shops with lots of stock but those days have passed. 

My father in law is the same way, left handed but uses all right handed bait casting reels.

The 7HTMag is definitely right hand retrieve.

It's called practice and patience. If you come from a freshwater bait casting background it's a no-brainer. With "practice" it does become second nature. With "practice" you'll be just as comfortable fishing a spinner retrieving with your left hand as a "right handed conventional" retrieving with your right.

Elect not to learn to retrieve a conventional with your right hand and you'll severely limit the models that will be available to you.

Not sure but I own over 100 LH retrieve convench reels from old Penns to Avets to Abus. Can't understand why a right handed guy would want to crank with the right hand? They do it in Australia but they do everything backwards down there.

It would be interesting to find out how many left handed reels Abu sells as opposed to right handed reels. And how many are in actual use. I am right handed, I tried a lefty and hated it, but I have been cranking with my right hand for more than 40 years. I try to convince anyone interested in conventionals to try righty, even if they have been cranking a spinning reel for years with their left. Not many thumbleveling star drag reels are available. I bet that is based on the demand for them.

When I was a kid, all the baitcasters and spin casters I saw were all righty, spinning reels were cranked with the left hand. The spinning reel was developed in Europe. Europeans leave their fork in their left hand when they eat, we switch hands after using a knife. Maybe that's why. :huh:

Someone once explained that most screws and the machines that make them are setup up to turn the usual lefty loosely righty tighty format and the required tooling that makes these parts are the norm and to do it the opposite way is very expensive - not sure I'm buying that explanation though. I cannot work a plug/lure properly with my left arm so I naturally buy reels that let me do it the usual way - with the left hand cranking the reel. It pisses me off that most reels (convench)are only available in RH retrieve and I truly believe that if more were available in LH retrieve you would see many more guys using baitcasters/convench.

I've had mine about a year. I really like it and one you get used to setting the brakes the reel does all the work. Get used to servicing it yourself though and do it often for the best performance

More and more!

I disagree, you'll probably never get used to it, buy the left hand retrieve model if you are right handed. 95% of the people who try convench reels give them up because they can't get used to cranking a reel with their dominant hand and fighting a fish with the weaker arm, seems very unnatural and makes no sense, that is why all my reels are LH crank - spinning, convench and fly fishing.

By the way I believe the 7HT is only available in right hand retrieve?

I agree, it is smarter if you are righthanded to get a lefthanded reel, why switch hands? Ans, I do like my strongest arm (right) fighting the fish not being wasted reeling the fish!