Abu Cog Wheel

Rate this topic

prican1

No problem with the fit. Mike's has a quick video of removing the little collar at the top of the cog to remove it. NEVER ever try to pry it off!!!! You can easily pop the post itself out. I have tapped the post back in and glued it for people who do not listen but it does not always stay - bye bye side plate. I cut the collar off the replacement as well, slightly ream the hole and use a C clip to hold it on so I can easily remove it for maintenance. (Same one as the handle clip part 4490. Ken D gave me a substitute ref from NAPA I will find, works for the wheel but not the handle nut - too big). Just like the old days the post still has the groove in it. The diff with a single bearing idler is remarkable - never tried a double because of the $$$$, don't think the porting at $5 is worth it either (my .02),other things you can upgrade.The twin bearing level wind is sweet - quick. I have had good luck on fleabay with hpfishing products for the wheel and the worm set - reasonable price and shipping, nice people. Any questions PM me.

Regards

Puck

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

Thanks Speedwell. I tried a single bearin cog in my 6500 Mag elite and wasn't impressed, but I guess common sense should have told me to cut off the collar...duhh. I'll give that another shot. Dual bearings make sense, but as you say, they're a little pricey. And you really can over do the bearing thing? Incidentally, have you tried changing out the 6500/5500 drive shaft and drag stack for the 5000/6000? It looks doable with a little modification and I intend to try it, but any advice would be appreciated.