Plug

Rate this topic

Ditch Jigger

I loved how he always got a kick out of being SOL Member #69.

Yup....:th:

I will miss him dearly. :(

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

One of Hugh's favorite topics:

What Steve said. Jumbos and whales can be somewhat mealy. Plus it's harder to get their shells to fry up crispy and tender. I much prefer primes or hotels with my nod going to the primes.

And NEVER deep fry a soft crab. By the time all that breading gets done the crab is way overcooked. Just a dusting of flour salt and pepper. Saute in butter on low to medium heat and as soon as the back colors up orangish and the belly loses it's transluscence and goes dirty white get him off of there. An overcooked softy is a crying shame.

Here's the size chart for those who might be interested.

You steam blue crabs for 25 minutes after the steam starts rolling good. Do not interrupt the steam by stirring the crabs around. They'll pick up more water and it will effect the texture of the meat. If you get the steam rolling good it's not necessary. Keep it rolling. Use plenty of heat. A turkey fryer is ideal for steaming crabs.

Stun the crabs by giving them a quick bath in ice water before you place them in the pot. It makes them easy to place in the pot and keeps them from pulling each others claws off by scrambling around in the pot

1/2 water, 1/2 white vinegar, pickling spice in the water just like Steve says but don't use Old Bay to season the crabs, this is the stuff you want. If it's not available you can find it on the internet. It's worth the bother, trust me on this.

#1 has no salt, #2 has flake salt added. I use the #2.

And you could tell from this he was a good ole southern farmer:

Ham & Cabbage

Chicken-n-Dumplins (thin and slippery)

Chicken fried steak

Muskrat

All kinds of shot stuff (had my first doves Sunday) but most of all.

Roast wild duck w' stuffing, mashers and gravy, butterbeans and biskets. :drool:

Went to a wild game dinner last night. Nothing wierd... no duck tongue or nightcrawlers. Just the kind of food "marshbillies" eat to make do. Snapper soup, venison and of course, muskrat.

You foodehs really ought to try muskrat. Delicious. Not wild or gamey at all. Like I said before... dark, rich, sweet meat. Totally unique. Just avoid smothering it in red sauce or chiles or cheese.

ham, turkey, stuffin, baked mac-n-cheese, garden salad, baked pineapple, yeast rolls, pumpkin bread, lemon butter, apple butter, sweet taters, mashed taters, turnips, string beans, assort. relish, pickles. olives, et al, cranberry sauce, and yes I love it from a can, apple pie, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, date pudding, ice cream. I know I'm forgetting something.

enuf

Just finished a 'mater sammich for a bed time snack. About my 27th one this year. :drool:

.99 a pound for a delicious meat protein source in times when gas is $4/gal. That's cheaper per pound than a bottle of water at most convenience stores.

Next time you see a farmer kiss him square in the mouth.

There are tons more of these gems.....:)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Terrible loss for everyone that was lucky enough to know Hugh.Especially for his family and community.

Sadness on the whole Eastern Shore is still as fresh as it was when we heard the shocking news of his passing.

Rip and thanks for everything Plug.

Unknown

• 3 months later...

Wow, RIP Plug, keeper of the Purple Demons.

I just gave my dad the last 3 I had from the big order you placed many years ago.

Definitely sad to read this

" Deer hunting is hours and hours of sweet anticipation graced with moments of incredible excitement" - Steve Chapman, Christian write/singer/songwriter/artist