fish well over the world record 53 inch mark caught and released "just a picture" would you let it go

Rate this topic

codfish

I personally would want to release a world record, however I married into a very old school Portuguese family.  I think if I released it, I would be disowned by the family.  :D  :D   The family get togethers would be like the episode of star trek where worf accepts discommendation. :D  :D

That's a call you make on the spot.. You can say you'll release it till you're blue in the face but until that big girl is laying at you're feet, you don't know really know how you'll react... And a potential WR fish?? I'd bet the real "I'd release it" number is significantly less. Also from first hand experience the meat of a 15lb fish is the same as a 50lb fish. Just like big VS small lobster.. Of course it's tough when you don't cook it right. :)

That's a call you make on the spot.. You can say you'll release it till you're blue in the face but until that big girl is laying at you're feet, you don't know really know how you'll react... And a potential WR fish?? I'd bet the real "I'd release it" number is significantly less. Also from first hand experience the meat of a 15lb fish is the same as a 50lb fish. Just like big VS small lobster.. Of course it's tough when you don't cook it right. :)

Damn, now the secret is out! :)

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Prep starts when fish is landed to keep.

Bleed gut remove gills and right on ice in tupperware type container.Keep away from water/melted ice.

So many people use horrible care then complain that type of fish is no good.

My favorite is seeing someone take home a couple blues and a small keeper striper that have been sitting for a few hours whole on the shore.

And they eat it.

(*member formerly known as 'Skitterpop')

Got that right, I suppose I would keep it if I was someone who needed a pat on the back and some jealous comment at the local tackle shop, or if I had entered a certain fishing magazine, that preaches conservation, kill contest I would weigh it in. Just like he did a picture and boga weight is great, and I can attest to the fact that the bigger fish are not as tasty as the smaller guys. Long, lean and looking to feed. Nice Fish let it get back to its friends!

Indeed!  Quick picture, and then back she goes...would feel WAY WAY too guilty to keep.  I can't keep anything, always feel guilty.

Couple thoughts.

First, I respectfully disagree on lrg vs small lobsters. No, I am not a lobsterman. But did wrk in the commercial lobster industry in Portsmouth, NH. We often cooked up 8-15# lobsters for customers in a saltwater vat. Called em stinkers. Smelled like dirty socks/BO laundry/elderly grandmother.. etc. Disgusting fiberous claws. Tips came out like Michelins. Now, the big bugs took a helluva long time to cook. Perhaps someone is a better cook and knows how to work with em. But you couldn't pay *any* of us to take a bite of those things. Nasty. Gimme a couple 1.25-1.5s anyday.

That said, I have extremely limited experience cooking big old bass. Biggest by far was my father's 49. After several subpar meals, the rest ended up wasted and practically self-ignited from frzr burn. Cant have an opinion until i have a properly bled, cared for, and prepared big fish.

Despite my hesitation to eat these grannybass, I think releasing big bruisers is much more difficult than 20, 30# fish.. because the longer fights and stronger forces involved really clobber them.. post-fight.. with metabolic syndrome.

Dont have the stats offhand, but racking a 50 up dead-weight on a boga is catastrophic for the fish. Bogas are great for landing & fish control while dehooking. Just don't agree with hanging big fish you plan to release. Think a minute or 2 out is fine if she's resting on seaweed or something.. few pics.. then walk her back to life. Without extra care, the 5 min photo shoots and hanging a 50 on a scale will likely prove fatal to most fish "released".. even if they manage to wobble back out to sea.

I keep a couple a year. Usually the ones where *I* screwed up the hookset and end up dragging a bleeding gut-mess onshore. (If it's me or the crabs.. I pick me) But my first reaction when see my f'd-up hookset is to unleash a string of obsenities. Hate it. I get my biggest kick watching them swim away. That said, if I caught the fish of a lifetime... I would want to release it if it seemed plausible. But if not, she's comin home. Yeah I know.. the 100% mortality rate once they go in the truck is a lot worse than the 80 of a badly mistreated but released fish. Just my call. To each his own.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Couple thoughts.

First, I respectfully disagree on lrg vs small lobsters. No, I am not a lobsterman. But did wrk in the commercial lobster industry in Portsmouth, NH. We often cooked up 8-15# lobsters for customers in a saltwater vat. Called em stinkers. Smelled like dirty socks/BO laundry/elderly grandmother.. etc. Disgusting fiberous claws. Tips came out like Michelins. Now, the big bugs took a helluva long time to cook. Perhaps someone is a better cook and knows how to work with em. But you couldn't pay *any* of us to take a bite of those things. Nasty. Gimme a couple 1.25-1.5s anyday.

"took a helluva long time to cook" says it all,  like most folks working with big bugs, you overcooked them!

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Now, the big bugs took a helluva long time to cook. Perhaps someone is a better cook and knows how to work with em. But you couldn't pay *any* of us to take a bite of those things. Nasty. Gimme a couple 1.25-1.5s anyday.

yiks RST3