Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

fish well over the world record 53 inch mark caught and released "just a picture" would you let it go

111 posts in this topic

My guilt trip began after I caught and kept these two a few years back. I had released several smaller fish but kept these as my limit. Since then I've only kept a few fish, usually just at keeper size. I was greedy: the "hunter/gatherer reflex" had set in. I understand how someone might want to keep a cow, but try not to let the heat of the moment rush you into a hasty decision

.:soapbox:

(PS there was a LOT of fish in my freezer for a while.:drool:)

Romeo & Juliet?

Putting it back. I am completely over keeping big fish unless it bleeds bad or is wiped out from the fight. Not that i have caught anything that size. I just let a fish go that my buddies put at 35lbs but I'm thinking 30lbs. Had a boga with us but the fish had been through enough already. I need to make a sling to use with the boga for future use.  Anybody else use one?

I kept my PB and really regretted it. I wish I had snapped pics and released it. The smaller ones taste better IMHO, bt it's tough in the moment. Unless it is going to die, or it is a clear world record I'm releasing it. Bt since I don't catch fish anywhere near that it is not a worry I have. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyDee View Post

Putting it back. I am completely over keeping big fish unless it bleeds bad or is wiped out from the fight. Not that i have caught anything that size. I just let a fish go that my buddies put at 35lbs but I'm thinking 30lbs. Had a boga with us but the fish had been through enough already. I need to make a sling to use with the boga for future use.  Anybody else use one?

It was quite a  few degrees north of 30#...without question....for the record...

....I carried a fish back to the truck tied up in my Lands End raincoat tonight... could pull double duty as a sling. It was pretty slimy when I got home though.

OP - Not sure what you mean when you say "well over world record 53 inch." The current world is 81 lbs. 14 oz., (pictured below) caught by Greg Myersen in the 2011 Striper Cup. That fish was 54" in length. Are you saying the fish pictured is over 80 lbs? :shock:

As another reference, this is a pic of a 74 lb., 57" fish caught by Blaine Anderson..... :bigeyes:

:D haha. Yes, but 74 lb's is a lot of weight.

That fish the OP showed is likely a 50 - but it looks skinny to me. No way to know otherwise....

i love mercury poisoning.. id keep it!!!!
Mercury poisoning in striped bass is exaggerated. Unless you are a pregnant woman or young child there is little to fear when eating striped bass even when consumed every every week. The health benefits may outweigh the risk and it the higher concentrations aren't really found in the areas of a striped bass that we consume.

The new RI State record had over 2 times the safe levels of mercury content.

EGO is what drives people to kill super cows... not much more. Chasing a dream, impressing your peers, validation.. That is why we kill them. Food?? yeah right. Meat from a 50 plus pound fish would probably taste like a shoe.

Give me a 29-31 inch fish any day and i will happily eat it. Mercury content in fish is acquired over time, so a 50 lb fish, has man many many more years to absorb it than a smaller fish.

i'm willing to bet that if you prepared and cook exactly the same way a 30" and a 50" no one would know witch is witch.

i'm willing to bet that if you prepared and cook exactly the same way a 30" and a 50" no one would know witch is witch.

I think you have that right. I ate my 50 pounder and didn't notice any difference in taste from the smaller fish.

no first hand experience, but I have been told by multiple people that the main difference isn't taste, but texture.