Any good reports?

Rate this topic

Justinfish

6 hours ago, rbart said:

The biomass of big fish moved on by mid September, like it has the last 4-5 years.  If you're not fishing in Aug and September, you're going to miss out.  There's no such thing as a traditional Fall run anymore as there's seemingly only one body of large fish and those fish got hammered on at the Ditch.  That one pod of fish isn't moving with water temps either, they're moving when the angle of the sun changes.

Ding ding ding. Yep. 

3 hours ago, rst3 said:

A big November bass = 58. 

58-pound-striper-on-Bomber-640x853.jpg.129b63bd0aaa1f9c202bb250b1748419.jpg

Not many of these old grannybass file through in Nov. The 1980s saw schools of big fish mid Nov at Block, but that lategame of large seems to be past tense nowadays. When the overall population was back up, 10..15 years ago, some guys still caught a few late run big fish early Nov in Boston harbor (boat fish) and some were around mid Nov, RI.

Lookit the shoulders on that thing 

There were probably some nice fish caught this fall in RI. Some. Not a lot, but some.

And they were caught by more dedicated individuals than I   :beers:

What's a glut of fish in a seven mile stretch of man made river isn't much of a glut when it comes down massive stretches of coast in dribs and drabs. For the places outside of the canal those fish present big fish opportunities that you'll miss if you sneeze at the wrong time. 

Not a bad year at all, if I break down the stats in the logbook, I have no room to complain. It was just inconsistent, weird, and frustrating. 

This fall was off though. I for one still favor October over September (although there's months I'd take over either). NE blow in October in certain little inlets you can piss half way across on a good day is the last gasp of "automatic" quality fishing there is in RI. Well it didn't happen this year to the best of my knowledge. 

1 hour ago, Double B said:

Either that guy is really strong  to hold up fish, or that's a great  photo shop  job,

I don't know Nick personally--but my friend does. He spoke with him that night and the day after. It was absolutely all of 58. You're free to look it up online if you like.

There are some very good fishermen in Rhode Island. And sometimes, despite the odds, they land some huge fish.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

I don't know Nick personally--but my friend does. He spoke with him that night and the day after. It was absolutely all of 58. You're free to look it up online if you like.

There are some very good fishermen in Rhode Island. And sometimes, despite the odds, they land some huge fish.

I caught stripers down the cape last saturday,small but stripers anyway.

So anything is possible 

troll #122  <*)))<

3 hours ago, Double B said:

Either that guy is really strong  to hold up fish, or that's a great  photo shop  job,

Had a beer with the man this summer, good dude. That’s no photoshop.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

When they get that big they don't generally recover so good after a battle. Like a old man,, they just don't bounce back like a youngun.

I remember (and miss) the old "sow bellies" of the 60's & 70's. Don't see them much anymore. Seems no matter how big they get they still have the "racer / torpedo" profile in comparison... least from what I've come across the last 20+ yrs. or so.

IMO,, It's certainly "Braggin Sized" for this day & age. I commend him for passing it off to a "kitchen". Many are Retirement homes or VA's where the folks just can't get out anymore. Brings them back some good memories and well deserved. I've worked in such places.

Kudos to the man,, well done.

Edited by riarcher