Justinfish

Any good reports?

4,065 posts in this topic

Covered a lot of ground while kids where at school, saw lots of peanuts, silversides, and butterflies, and that was about it. Lack of blues this year or just me?

1 minute ago, Kooky said:

Covered a lot of ground while kids where at school, saw lots of peanuts, silversides, and butterflies, and that was about it. Lack of blues this year or just me?

I just caught my first bluefish last week...and it wasn't in RI! I camped in charlestown this weekend and woke up with peanuts on the beach. 

1 minute ago, Kooky said:

I agree with the lack of bluefish.  Only recently,  during some albie outings have I ran across a few 1 to 2 lb bluefish. And snappers have been almost non existent  (had 2 small paddle tail soft plastics have their tails snipped off, which is the only evidence I've seen of snappers 

I only visit sporadically but this year I've hit the blues almost every time. 

In late May or early June my older boys and I hit into all the blues we wanted on a long weekend. Not big, but some of the "5 pounders" actually approached 5 pounds.

My first albie trip a half way not small blue kept me from getting skunked. 

Then last Friday we had about 2 hours of a hit or multiple hits on almost every cast.

2-3 pounders, good light tackle stuff.

Ok all spelled out, not too impressive. Would have been nice for the kid to see his first blitz.

Haven't seen a real one myself in some time. 

Of course nowadays anything more than three splashes is a blitz.

I remember when an October blitz of blues could stretch from watch hill to weekapoug. 

53 minutes ago, mikez2 said:

Haven't seen a real one myself in some time. 

Of course nowadays anything more than three splashes is a blitz.

I remember when an October blitz of blues could stretch from watch hill to weekapoug. 

Back when a blitz was a blitz...(clip: Newport)

Agree about the bluefish. Cant speak to overall population but they definitely dont show up in numbers like they used to. Many years recently they have been largely scarce.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:47 PM, Kooky said:

Tons of bait in the water the past few days, mid-bay.  The birds are going crazy but no predators in the water on the bait.  Maybe a small bluefish here or there. :shrug:

Frost advisory for Friday 3am-8am. Need these water temps to drop, still in the mid 60s out front. Its getting cooler at night but the forecast for october doesnt show a day below 60 degrees (most are closer to 70). The baits too comfy. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

seriously.... WTF is going on

Any state south of MA is going to have a slower than normal fall run.  People underestimate how many quality fish got removed from the stock this summer at the CCC.  I was there, I saw it.  An absolute slaughter fest for 7-8 weeks...

Edited by frezzy

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

Any state south of MA is going to have a slower than normal fall run.  People underestimate how many quality fish got removed from the stock this summer at the CCC.  I was there, I saw it.  An absolute slaughter fest for 7-8 weeks...

That is really sad and disheartening, if you think about how hard many folks work to do minimal damage to the stock and even individual fish.

good fish have been absent all year. What happened at the canal doesn't / isn't going to help but somethings gotta give.  

12 minutes ago, Kooky said:

That is really sad and disheartening, if you think about how hard many folks work to do minimal damage to the stock and even individual fish.

Without some serious azz kicking by the authorities supposedly enforcing our fishing laws and less of a revolving door policy and "wrist slap" penalties meted out by judges, I see a repeat of the rampant poaching next year. I'm hoping it was a wake up call, but memories tend to be short. :dismay:

I've never seen this many people fishing the Ditch this far into the season. Usually it's a ghost town at night by now. No longer. Not sure why because there are no fish to be caught. :shaky:

-bd

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, splions said:

Tons of bait in the water the past few days, mid-bay.  The birds are going crazy but no predators in the water on the bait.  Maybe a small bluefish here or there. :shrug:

Peanuts-galore.

There are two outflows in particular, that have treated me very well this past week.

Edited by warwick slums