Need input on the Hobie Adventure

I'm shopping the Big A! I finally have given into the fact that I need an extra couple of feet over the Revo to catch that next wave in order to become more efficient. It appears the Big A will be my best choice for a kayak with a pedal drive system. I'd like to hear from those who have owned or own the Big A. Whats your height and weight is and tell us how it handles in the bigger water. Also, do you have feedback on fishing it in smaller bodies of water as far as maneuverability goes. Can you talk about the secondary stability in rougher conditions. In case of drive failure, how does it paddle?

I still think I'm gonna need two kayaks to fish both big and small water because of the Big A length. Thanks in Advance.

When they first came out, I got to play with one for the summer.Launched it maybe 10 times from the surf. Honestly, back then, I didn't know primary from secondary stability, never dumped in water over my head, and never forced a dump/self rescue. So, I probably won't be much help, but here are my thoughts: Of the 4 yaks I've launched and fished outside, the "A" was the best. Handled chop and swell really well, and was great for chasing fish and trolling. Definitely not the most maneuverable boat... Turns are longer and slower than the Revo. Never paddled it far, but it definitely tracked better than my Revo. I'm 6'4, 225. If I did more surf launches, and/or $ was a bit more free-flowing, then I'd probably have a Big A in the fleet.

Super fast, turns like an 18 wheeler, paddled once for about 2 miles without any issues, tracks arrow straight.

Beaching takes getting used to - once you've chosen your line and time .... that's it, no way to pirouette out! 'Dismount' whilst still in some water and haul ass, rolls/tips on dry land more than most - It's narrow but you already know that. I think it'd definitely dig the nose in on beaching in big and steep surf - no way to keep the nose up, at least for my weight (180lbs , 5'11").

Cuts through chop and wakes really well, a little wet but nothing serious. Haven't rolled (yet), but never felt close to tipping. Getting to stuff in the back is a bit of a mission - usually put a leg or 2 over the side.

Whilst it doesn't feel heavy in the water, it's unwieldy when loading/unloading on a MPV.

I'd get another one!

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Riddler- That is what I have been using as my primary kayak for several years now. Of course I am on my second hull as is everyone I know who fishes hobies hard. I find it to be a very good fishing platform I moved from a prowler 15 to the A and the adventure at first seemed a little more tippy, but in hindsight I believe that feeling was due to not having a paddle in my hand. Coming from a revo I don't think you will feel that. I have the larger sailing rudder and I don't find it to be that much harder to turn. It is a beast to load and unload ( I don't mind that part) because I throw it in the bed of my pickup with a bed extender. It is fast and has way less hull slap than any of the other hobies, the only negative about the length is pearling in tight surf. That being said I have only had one real crash type surf landing that was really my fault even though I knew the dropping surf and sand bar would be a problem. Any specific questions shoot me a PM- Bob

Riddler- That is what I have been using as my primary kayak for several years now. Of course I am on my second hull as is everyone I know who fishes hobies hard. I find it to be a very good fishing platform I moved from a prowler 15 to the A and the adventure at first seemed a little more tippy, but in hindsight I believe that feeling was due to not having a paddle in my hand. Coming from a revo I don't think you will feel that. I have the larger sailing rudder and I don't find it to be that much harder to turn. It is a beast to load and unload ( I don't mind that part) because I throw it in the bed of my pickup with a bed extender. It is fast and has way less hull slap than any of the other hobies, the only negative about the length is pearling in tight surf. That being said I have only had one real crash type surf landing that was really my fault even though I knew the dropping surf and sand bar would be a problem. Any specific questions shoot me a PM- Bob

Thanks guys.

Fins, what year A did you have the problem with the defective hull and where was it located?

I used one for half a season.  Its pretty damn stable if your comfortable in a kayak.   Everyone who paddles a barge will go on about how unstable it is but it really isn't.  It is a much wetter ride than the revo.  The items in the bottom of your crate will get wet as water is constantly flowing in and out of the tankwell.  I never noticed this problem with the revo.  I had it out in some serious waves this past year and it handled them great.  The bow cuts throw chop with no problem.  The issue with the newer style boats is if it is that rough out, you end up sitting in about 4 inches of water.  Much worse than the revo.  Its kinda of a PIA in rivers with its length and that was the deciding factor with me to go back with the revo.  

One major issue I had was with rod length compared to the bow.  I thought it wouldn't be a big deal not being about to get the tip of the rod around the bow.  I was wrong.  Fighting a fish in heavy current and not getting the rod around the bow can cause huge problems on the shoals.  The boat will eventually turn with the fish, putting you broadside into the waves.  I also had a fish go into the drive and scare the crap out of me.   

Not trying to turn you off the A.  Just letting you know the issues I had with it and why I went back to the Revo.  But I'm pretty sure I fish more protected waters than your in.  There's no swell in long island sound, and the rivers are never rough......just narrow.

i also find it easier to get the A on top of my SUV.  The length makes it easier to lift one side at a time.

I tried it out this summer. It handled chop the best out of the kayaks that I tried. Very smooth, very very fast, and not too tippy. It's just too long for my liking, and also did not have the gunnels that the outback has. It could also get an AI conversion, so there is that. That would be the best offshore system ever.

My hull was an 06 (early) one, lasted a good 5 years but failed on the old style cam column where the drive locks in. The other thing I will say about the A is it paddles every bit as well as the P-15 I had before it, blew out the drive on the Sunday of the Jamaica bay tournament and was still able to fish ( before I started carrying an extra drive for long trips or times I am camping away from home).

I am 5'9 195 and I fish out front, south side of Montauk, outside of the inlets a lot come albie time, and I feel it excels there. My 2 cents,

I've spent some time fishing rips in the A. Great boat overall, tracks well and has a great hull speed. I did feel more comfortable in trailing seas but didn't like how it required more effort to lean turn or edge than the Revo. I wasn't able to swing a 6'6 rod around the bow. If it wasn't for that and the fact I like my Revo I would own one. It is definitely a wetter ride than a Revo but that shouldn't stop you.

I also felt it would be a better boat for someone with 40-50# on me, I had the same issue with my Trident 15 (I'm 155#)

All of the cracking issues were mainly 2006/2007 hulls with the twist and go drive system. The later Hobies have significantly less hull failure since they have found a better way to get the plastic to flow around the drive well. I fished my 2011 Revo 13 hard for 2 years and it seems practically brand new besides some minor scratching... I don't understand how guys are "wearing through hulls from fishing heavy"

I don't understand how guys are "wearing through hulls from fishing heavy"

Thanks everybody for the reviews. Very helpful.....but now the thread risks being derailed...... Can you make a separate posting on that so it doesn't turn into a 25 page rant on hobie cracked hulls? :laugh:

Thanks everybody for the reviews. Very helpful.....but now the thread risks being derailed...... Can you make a separate posting on that so it doesn't turn into a 25 page rant on hobie cracked hulls? :laugh:

I knew I was playing with fire by throwing that in. I'm sure there is already several of those threads... I'm just surprised no one has said how the PA14 is a better open water boat than the Adventure... Yet