Best cheesesteak place in Philly?

Rate this topic

pricise10

Love cheesesteaks and will travel to try places. Around my neck of the woods there is a place called Eve's lunch in Norristown that makes a very respectable cheesesteak with fantastic roll, & their steak fries are the bomb. My current favorite that's close to home. This place is also well known for the "Norristown Zep". ( like a hoagie with less ingredients, & no lettuce. A very simple, but great sandwich.)

Going to NJ shore I like to make pit stops at a lot of the city places over the years, right before/after I cross one of the bridges. Have some experience with many already mentioned.

*Chinks (now Joe's) on Torresdale Ave. I like to hit this place if I'm using the Tacony - Palmyra bridge.

They're also known for a great milkshake. Place is like out of a time machine. A little cramped. But worth it IMHO. The girls working there ain't hard to look at either!

* Delassandro's in Roxborough - many times. Again, cramped but worth it.

* Steves Prince of steaks in NE Philly. Good stuff. Been a couple of times, & would go back.

* Tony Lukes. Couple of times, Real Good, & they have a huge menu of other stuff. You gotta eat on sidewalk tables on a filthy, busy street - but what are ya gonna do?

* On the basis of huge ratings, I tried out John's Roast Pork with great anticipation. Waited in a long line at lunchtime. AND ... was shocked at my disappointment!

I just must have got a bad one. First bite was gristle, rest not easy to eat. That's all I remember about it. I'm gonna give them another chance when the opportunity arises. All those people can't be wrong I'm guessing.

Never been to the more famous tourist places, and am kinda leery of wasting a city cheese steak adventure on them.

Love cheesesteaks and will travel to try places. Around my neck of the woods there is a place called Eve's lunch in Norristown that makes a very respectable cheesesteak with fantastic roll, & their steak fries are the bomb. My current favorite that's close to home. This place is also well known for the "Norristown Zep". ( like a hoagie with less ingredients, & no lettuce. A very simple, but great sandwich.)

Going to NJ shore I like to make pit stops at a lot of the city places over the years, right before/after I cross one of the bridges. Have some experience with many already mentioned.

*Chinks (now Joe's) on Torresdale Ave. I like to hit this place if I'm using the Tacony - Palmyra bridge.

They're also known for a great milkshake. Place is like out of a time machine. A little cramped. But worth it IMHO. The girls working there ain't hard to look at either!

* Delassandro's in Roxborough - many times. Again, cramped but worth it.

* Steves Prince of steaks in NE Philly. Good stuff. Been a couple of times, & would go back.

* Tony Lukes. Couple of times, Real Good, & they have a huge menu of other stuff. You gotta eat on sidewalk tables on a filthy, busy street - but what are ya gonna do?

* On the basis of huge ratings, I tried out John's Roast Pork with great anticipation. Waited in a long line at lunchtime. AND ... was shocked at my disappointment!

I just must have got a bad one. First bite was gristle, rest not easy to eat. That's all I remember about it. I'm gonna give them another chance when the opportunity arises. All those people can't be wrong I'm guessing.

Never been to the more famous tourist places, and am kinda leery of wasting a city cheese steak adventure on them.

Tony Lukes does have another restaurant across the street from the original, seating/ A/C, worth the walk across the street.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

• 3 weeks later...

Provolone wit. You gotta order it right.

I like Tony's. But get real cheese for *********. Tell em not to dry it out either. You gotta let em know your not gonna pay $10 through the side of a trailer on Oregon ave for a grilled cheese with beef jerky on it.

Try the peppers.

The fish are someplace else, unless your somplace else; in which case they are somplace elser.

• 1 month later...

i am a big fan of Tony Lukes and Steve Prince of Steaks. But those sandwiches are really thin. For a good meat filled real Philly cheese steak check out Max's on Broad and Erie. Alot of people pass on it due to the area but its a main intersection that almost always has a cop or two there. And its really not bad there just profiled that way cuz of what we see on the news.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottO View Post

Tony lukes pork with broccolirabe? 

Disclaimer: I was born & raised in Flushing, Queens, NY.  Mets fan.  Giants fan.  

You Philly guys.......meh...like mom said. If you don't have anything nice to say.......

But that sandwich mentioned above redeems you for all of your numerous shortcomings.

The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed.

-Casey Stengel

You Philly guys.......meh...like mom said. If you don't have anything nice to say.......

But that sandwich mentioned above redeems you for all of your numerous shortcomings.

The next time you're in Philly, try either John's Roast Pork in South Philly, or DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market. Both are better than Tony Luke's. There's nothing wrong with Tony Luke's roast pork -- it's fine -- but both John's and DiNic's are otherworldly. :th:

We took my in-laws from Western PA to Reading Terminal Market one day a few years ago, and my brother-in-law, while eating a DiNic's Roast Pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe, said Thank god I don't live here. If I did, I'd eat one of these every day, and weigh 400 pounds. They're that good.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Born and raised in Philly. My favorite place was always which ever was closest. American with fried onions and sweet peppers. Most places are decent some better than others but none were worth driving across town for other just to take the trip since I hadn't been there in a long time. For most of my life I just walked down to the corner pizzeria and was happy. I guess I ain't picky.