Abu Garcia 7000HS - Broken levelwind?

Rate this topic

96TL

Hey guys. I have an Abu Garcia 7000HS Big Game reel that I've used maybe a dozen times. Yesterday the levelwind started getting stuck on one side. If I keep turning the handle the levelwind bounces back and forth on the same side and my line gets all tangled up. In free spool the levelwind works perfectly. Is this something easy to repair or do I have to send it in? I can't believe it broke already. Thanks.

Dom

2006 Parker 2320SL / Yamaha F250

Either the pawl or the worm gear. Amount of use isn't usually the culprit - sand in the wrong place at the wrong time can chip the pawl or worm gear.

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Any tackle shop will have it . Abu has only one pawl that fits all their reels. Buy two of them and keep one in a ziplock bag under your lures in the plugbag. Once you have replaced the pawl ( 1-2 minute job)you'll have to let out all of your line. Tie the end to a tree and walk away. once the spool is empty, wind it back on. It is easier to do if the reel is on a rod. You'll have to make up a good story because passersby will want to know what you are doing. biggrin.gif

.........Elvis lives....2020

Longshot,

Usually you can put the line through the LW guide with no pawl installed, start paying out line until it comes off evenly, position the new pawl in the worm where the line is on the spool and tighten the cap.

It takes practice, and you can have the guide going one way, the line the other and will need to re-do the pawl position, but I can't remember the last time I had to remove the line.

Good luck,

SS

Abu has only one pawl that fits all their reels.

Is that true? icon25.gif I thought there were at least two different sizes redface.gif

Anyone know for sure?

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Tie it to a tree and walk away? Too much work. Maybe I'll spike it on my lawn and tie it to my car and drive away. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help guys. I'll go to the B&T tomorrow and check it out. This forum is awesome. icon14.gif Maybe you guys can help me catch a bass now. frown.gif

Dom

2006 Parker 2320SL / Yamaha F250

If the pawls are wearing out these days after 12 trips, buy half a dozen, not just two wink.gif

I used to get more than a season from them when Abus were made in Sweden.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver