Tfisher

Random

23,520 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, Slacker said:

Back in the days of fishing a lot, you had to do stuff to make it more interesting.  One particular day, the MP and I set a rule that it had to be old reels and mono all day.  Snaps and the MP refurbed a Squidder I bought online for the event.  The Squidder did it's job and put the pool money where it belonged... and just as fast, it was retired to the reel cabinet where it remains today.

5a28809d6e5fb_Prowler1012222010.jpg.fbf0f5b48023f42cf37bc47334f9675e.jpg

(I'm surprised I caught anything... that dude in the background was in my pocket all day and talked absolutely non-stop.  I never said "uh huh" and "yup" more times over 6-7 hours in my life.)

So what fine piece of modern technology are you using today. And everyone name a modern reel that’s not lever drag nor $399 to tog with and maybe I’ll upgrade. I have a fathom and an avet other than the Newell’s but don’t seem to use them. I like a light reel too. 

And there a lot of orange in that photo of different shades. 

Edited by Humboldt Squid

2 mins ago, Humboldt Squid said:

So what fine piece of modern technology are you using today. And everyone name a modern reel that’s not lever drag nor $399 to tog with and maybe I’ll upgrade. I have a fathom and an avet other than the Newell’s but don’t seem to use them. I like a light reel too. 

I have an old (silver) Torium 14 and an old (gold) Trinidad 14... got the Trinidad on here for $250 probably 10 years ago.  Also have a Diawa Saltist BG that is about the same size as those other reels... it is my mono reel, so it sees limited use.

(they all see minimal use, now, but you know what I mean)

You can get a new model torium for $200. Not sure what the difference is with the old ones. Was thinking of getting the new 14. Season almost over prob will wait. Waiting for billy to order my blank and I’m gonna have mike Denny son build it. That where my money will go first. 

2 mins ago, Humboldt Squid said:

You can get a new model torium for $200. Not sure what the difference is with the old ones. Was thinking of getting the new 14. Season almost over prob will wait. Waiting for billy to order my blank and I’m gonna have mike Denny son build it. That where my money will go first. 

What you need to watch for is an online sale at Dicks.  About a month ago they did 20% off everything... that knocks that reel down to $160.

19 mins ago, Humboldt Squid said:

And there a lot of orange in that photo of different shades. 

Nasty NYC haze in that sky.

Sick as a friggin' dog.  At least I'm in my own bed tonight.  Not looking forward to tomorrow night at the Comfort Inn, Edinburgh, IN... even in the peak of fit I wouldn't be real thrilled.

I'm think I gotta do a hot cider - bourbon thing... be right back.

Last time I was sick was December 2014 tog week... that sucked.  Bad.  Windy, cold, wet... shivering, scratchy throat, snot... but you are in NJ and gotta fish three days in a row.

Everyone is sick at work coming to work hacking up lung butter. Everyone in my group is sick so I have to sit in conference rooms with them in meetings breathing on me. I’m starting to feel it coming loading up on vitamin c drops. 

15 mins ago, Humboldt Squid said:

Everyone is sick at work coming to work hacking up lung butter. Everyone in my group is sick so I have to sit in conference rooms with them in meetings breathing on me. I’m starting to feel it coming loading up on vitamin c drops. 

When I feel something coming on, gargling saltwater usually works for me... but sometimes the bug is too strong.  This is one of those times.

I rarely get sick, now, 'cause I'm rarely around other people.  But, man, back when I was working NYC ('99-'04) I was sick pretty much every three weeks all winter.  That subway is a germ cocktail... get one, get better, get a different one, rinse-repeat.  I actually took a job for $15 grand less in '04 just to get out of the city and away from that friggin' subway.

23 mins ago, Slacker said:

Last time I was sick was December 2014 tog week... that sucked.  Bad.  Windy, cold, wet... shivering, scratchy throat, snot... but you are in NJ and gotta fish three days in a row.

I went looking for a report and it looks like I didn't even write one... but Razz noted that we fished three days and took home the pool dollars twice... once him, once me... way to represent.  I combined that trip with a day of south Jersey deer hunting... never do that again, too much different crap to be hauling around.

I got the new torium 16N for 209. Went with a 16 cuz I have 3 other smaller reels and the 16 holds more line in case I ever do fishing in deeper water, and I don't have 450 bucks right now to get another saltiga.

Truth is the seed was planted the first time I saw one.. looks like a black Trinidad..Those damn seeds take hold of me and I'm helpless to stop. It looks nice full of 65lb yellow suffix mounted on my new rodgeeks 733.

Slacker and SNAPS remember my purple newell with purple braid on my purple rod. 

8 hours ago, mickrazz said:

I got the new torium 16N for 209. Went with a 16 cuz I have 3 other smaller reels and the 16 holds more line in case I ever do fishing in deeper water, and I don't have 450 bucks right now to get another saltiga.

Truth is the seed was planted the first time I saw one.. looks like a black Trinidad..Those damn seeds take hold of me and I'm helpless to stop. It looks nice full of 65lb yellow suffix mounted on my new rodgeeks 733.

Slacker and SNAPS remember my purple newell with purple braid on my purple rod. 

Just tore down the silver avet,  bad pinion brg, their brgs are supposed to be crap, but, reason why they die is cuz SW seeps in to the pinion gear chamber, cuz there is no grease on the mating surfaces, freaking amazing, i ALWAYS wash my reels, plus, if they Grease or oil the brgs during install wuld be ok. No mfgr does, so, ....i am an idkot, i shulda just bought pinikn brg from Boca , rather than entire set, n just pop off the shields on the other brgs n Grease em, save myself $50

Mick yep I remember the purple newells, I still have the red. Newells great for in shore 8oz lead and  tog, handle sux, do what squid did, other reels are better winches, and feel stronger, want quieter load it with cals grease.

Slacks you dont need any more reels, what  boat was the mono trio trip???? The picture wow i remember, that trip, lab was on it, he gave me the stink eye all day. Thats Chris dos santos, Mick i fill you in on him off line.

Sparkless we can go shopping for parts for yr antiques,  in sudsy's garage. You dont need any more braided line, unless you are going for rooster fish in Ecuador.

Squid dont buy any more reels, your a young guy, put the money in your 401K.

Edited by Snaps