Collecting Eel Skins (Wood)

TheRealTheRick

Quote:

Originally Posted by vineyardblues View Post

Spin atom and atom 54jrs were what we used hands down.

Add a little dental floss ,eel skin inside out ,you need the blue showing NoT the black..whith about 4 inches flapping in the rear for the best action. Frozen eels,nailed to a tree,pull back skin , 5 -10 mins and your done.

You would need huge eels for most of the manf wood lures.

#2. Eelskin USED lures were capt Andy hands down.

Most if not all of his were useed in boats

Good stuff Vineyard, thank you.  Huge eels were a big problem this past year.  I had to go to extreme lengths to secure eels that fit both Cap't Andy's and GRS.  Question, were the Atoms that you used weighted with BB's or buckshot?  A few, no all,  of the older Atoms I inherited are loaded to varying weights.  I use the Cap't Andy's in inlets and strong current.  I don't even cast them, just let them ride the current out then start working back.

Cool. They worth anything?

The jointed eel skins I posted earlier in this thread I got at a fishing expo. The guy had six NOS on the table and said give me $40 for all of them so I jumped on it. I'd imagine that's probably a little on the cheap side (even for Andy's) but Ivan's right (although pretty cool), they're not "highly collectible" plugs.

Noted, and thank you.  I added another name and it may be one of the hardest to find/collect.  Its the Stan Kuzia/John Gibbs collaboration.  Giant Eel Skin needle.  11 total made.  I was re-reading some older issues of Surfcaster's Journal and saw a pic of 2.

Here's one that's even harder

Gary2 Eelskin slim, second down on left

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Funny you should post that as I have thought of doing that to a slim. I make some of his exact design, except not hangers thru wired, as I own a few and won't throw his so I copy them. I have done real well with them and made one with a slopehead and it got some real good interest from fish so I thought it might work as an eelsking plug too. Thanks for posting that Sudsy.

what's the secret word for tonight

That Gary 2 eel skin must be a 1 of a kind sudsy. I know you and Gary were tight. I can remember asking him if he was going to make eel skin plugs and he was not making them for custom orders. I have to say what's more impressive is his smaller plug you have shown on display. I have to say I miss his conversation s on catching fish on plugs