Spring striper run 2014

21 replies to this topic

#16 Jcap

Jcap

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 20 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thnx jetty guy.

When fishing the rocks, what plugs you normally use?

• -

#17 cptjack

cptjack
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,328 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 8:13 AM

one way to learn a buck tail is to fish it over rocks

• -
LIBBA1922

#18 JettyGuy

JettyGuy
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thnx jetty guy.

When fishing the rocks, what plugs you normally use?

It all depends on conditions:the terrain,time of day, the stage of the tide,the bait, whitewater,wind,the amount of water over the rocks, current,rips,etc.

My first love are bucktails 1/2 ounce to 2 ounces depending on how high the water is and how rough or wavy.

Plugs include: needlefish, bombers,the Daiwa minnows, loaded redfins,x-raps and Danny plugs. I like to use the SURFSTERS,too, which I find cast pretty well for a metal lip.
I also like using the floating SS poppers which sometimes do extremely well. Also when the wind is at my back I throw rebel jumping minnows and some great
other walk the dog type plugs. There are some terrific LIGHT wooden "walk the dog" category plugs, which I am sure others on here can name, the names escape me for now. They are very effective in the rocks,too.

Everyone has different ideas and styles. Just go out there and experiment.

• -

#19 ctilley182

ctilley182

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted December 21 2013 - 10:49 AM

Had some good bluefish in late april/early may last year on the western south shore. Zero stripers for me last spring but I do recall seeing a few guys with some 10-20lb class fish. Also I believe J-Bay got hot (not temp wise) real quick last spring. Fish that incoming tide in the inlets on a north wind, the bunker come into the inlets feeding and the bass, essentially, should set up on the north side of the inlet waiting to crash all the bait. That's what I was told to do all last spring, but I also didn't have a successful spring last year.

• -

#20 kjmax

kjmax

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationQueens NY

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:20 AM

From the same area too and a raw beginner.
This gives me good idea of the place I can just try before I get those state park permits.

• -

#21 kjmax

kjmax

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationQueens NY

Posted December 21 2013 - 11:26 AM

Supposed to be a thank you post and forgot to thank. :D

• -

#22 emeraldLongboarder

emeraldLongboarder

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 11 2015 - 8:07 AM

Hi Guys,

I'll be vacationing on Long Island NY arriving this weekend for a week. (Visiting from Ireland - May 15th 2015)

Will be there with the wife so will just have some casual fishing time (hopefully most days). We have a few days booked in Long Beach and a few in Montauk.

I a very keen Sea Bass angler here so would love to have a go for a striper. I will bring a heavy spinning rod and a bunch of plugs and plastics.

What are my chances from the beaches for a striper? I don't mind about size - our bass tend to run about 2-3 lbs with the odd bigger fish up to 10 lbs so a striper of any size would be great.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

• -