today's turnings, whats on your lathe

Rate this topic

stripercrazy

These are fresh off the lathe and 3 different jigs on the table saw for the lip and top. They are red cedar and take 1 oz of weight in the center. I will be sealing them next and water testing them tomorrow, if i can get through the ice flows.

Darters.jpg

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

15 hours ago, fishing bum wannabe said:

These are fresh off the lathe and 3 different jigs on the table saw for the lip and top. They are red cedar and take 1 oz of weight in the center. I will be sealing them next and water testing them tomorrow, if i can get through the ice flows.

Darters.jpg

Really nice.  Have you tried making them out of maple?  You may not need to add any weight.

MEMBER: TEAM GREEN

SOL OG #47

Ive made a number of lures out of birch, mostly needlefish, but not maple recently. Birch doesnt split as much as maple and it turns easier. At the moment i dont have any birch thick enough and have had good luck with pine, ayc and red cedar. The lighter woods when weighted in the middle can have a nice wiggle as well as the side to side darter action.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, stripercrazy said:

Got to chin weight it just wood lip and hooks 6 oz

3F4F862D-B7DB-4018-B145-60AEB320F8B5.jpeg

that is one fat basstid!

I love it.

that thing is gonna hammer some fine fish for sure.,

gotta love a big pikie always.

wht kinda of action will it have,surface,sub or both?

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

23 hours ago, stripercrazy said:

the big one's are best on the surface.....alot of wood to get underwater,plus its big blunt head not really good for diving

agreed,looking at it again I should have known it right away,my building skill tells me that after I looked at it the second time.

fine piece for sure.

HH

15 mins ago, Roddy said:

reminds me of a J-plug,,looks like a killer design,,let us know how it does or even better do a short vid of it's swim.

HH

Roddy, that's exactly what I was going for! We'll see how it goes. I think I'll need more 'scoop' in the mouth but who knows!

- Kevin

3 hours ago, krnydam said:

Update: It needs some adjustments. Has a slight wiggle with a slow retrieve but it might need a little belly weight to keep from rolling out. Determined to make it work though, I'm digging the design!

5a60fb3d3f368_IMG_10151.thumb.JPG.933afd6d1644ee63cc92df164789cd14.JPG

- Kevin

well,I think it needs some belly weight too,I thought you may have already had some in it.

I think that may just do the trick.

HH

39 mins ago, Roddy said:

well,I think it needs some belly weight too,I thought you may have already had some in it.

I think that may just do the trick.

HH

Roddy, I left it out to start with the thought that some made darters out of hard maple and left them unweighted, even though this isn’t a darter, I wanted to try it like this first. A little weight should go a long way. 

- Kevin