NY to Newport News VA

Guys - just looking for a little help on kayak fishing in VA around the Newport News area. Im from NY and my sister and her husband just move down there with my 3 month year old nephew. Im going to go visit them for x mas for a couple days and since im driving down i was thinking of maybe hitting the waters down there. Mainly looking for stripers or maybe tog. I read the VA regulations but found them a bit confusing or maybe im just not a good reader. Any one can give me some advice or launching points around that area.. Not looking to burn spots but just some general direction. Like i said im not from VA and only have a couple of days there- any suggestions would be helpful. ThanksĀ 

Danny

I was on one if the ships down there in Norfolk last year, around this time. Was talking with a truck driver on the pier one day...he said that he had been killing the fish right behind my ship. The couple years I was down there, I never did get a chance to fish. Also used to see a lot of kayak fishermen around the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. I don't know anything about access around there though. Maybe ask around on the Chesapeake Bay forum.

there is a lot of info out there, kayak guys from down there like rob choi and kayak kevin post regular reports on their websites. the concrete ships and the area around kiptopeke state park at the tip of the eastern shore is the main game for big winter stripers and the ships hold tog too.Ā I'm heading down there for a few days starting monday, I'll put up a post when I get back...Ā 

fishing in the dark.

The concrete ships are at Kiptopeke State Park. It's on the Eastern Shore so you'll have to pay the toll to cross the CBBT and it'll probably take 45 minutes or so from Newport News depending on traffic. Worth the trip if you want to try for big bass though. LIght line along the HRBT is a closer place for bass, but likely school sized fish. Best shot for tog is the bridge pilings at the CBBT out to the 1st island or at Kiptopeke. You might want to research the "Hot Ditch" on the the Elizabeth River too. You have a good shot at some trophy speckled trout.

Castnet..thank you very much for the info- I really appreciate it. Hope to be able to repay you with some guidance one day.Ā 

Can anyone please shed some light on keepers in VA this season. I dont want to break any rules while im down there-- there a license that I need to get to be able to fish down there? In NY there u dont need a marine license but do need to register.Ā 

Thanks guys... much appreciated

Danny

Casnet - looking at the Kiptopeke State Park on the map and it seems to be a good distance from the first piling Ā of the CBBT. Do kayak fisherman usually launch from the park then Ā paddle/peddle to the bridge or is there another launching point closer?

thanks again...

Ā Deepshax--Yea i think i just saw it was about 3-4 miles....thats a decent peddle..

Ā 

Ok I have re-read and looks like the CBBT and the Kiptopeke park all fall under the " bay area" and not the "costal area" which seem to have different regulations. If i will be fishing those 2 spots I should be following the below regulations, correct? I guess thats why i was a bit confused its bc of theĀ differenceĀ between the 2 and where the line is drawn...Anyone want to shed some light on why the regulations are the way they are. Seems that theyĀ alsoĀ change from Fall to Spring to Trophy Season.....

Ā 

Chesapeake Bay Fall SeasonĀ .........................................................October 4 through December 31Ā 

........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches

........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inchesĀ 

........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 31..................2 per personĀ 

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 28 inches or greater.Ā 

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers,Ā except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

You'll need a saltwater license and registration with VA. Your correct on bay regulations too for launching from Kipto or to fish the CBBT. Coastal designation is from Cape Henry to tip of Fisherman Island. Just don't go east through Fisherman Island Inlet; otherwise you'd cross into coastal area. It's been just okay fishing from what I hear down there so far this year. I'm hoping to get down this weekend, but Google: Chris' Bait and Tackle, Dr. Julie Ball fishing reports, or the Kayak Kevin one mentioned earlier for good info. It think Kayak Kevin has a good write-up on fishing techniques there too.

Ā 

When I mentioned fishing the CBBT and 1st Island, I was referring to the VA Beach side, sorry. Most launch from the beach there and fish their way out. It would be a good distance from Kipto!

I just finished a weekend fishing down there and I can help. You need a VA saltwater license (you can also buy a md or a Potomac river license bc there is a reciprocal agreement). If you want a shot at tog and big rockfish (you guys call them bass) then you will want to go to Kipto. If you want a shot at tog and schoolies then launch on the western side of the CBBT and fish the pilings to the first island.

Ā 

Good luck down there, the striper bite has been tough. It seems like the fish skipped the bay this year (or are more likely dead).

Thanks Redfish

Ā 

Would u suggest sticking with the tog?? Just want to catch some fish... I mean a big bass would be great but just looking for some action... Were u lucky enough to run into

Some bass?

Ā 

Thanks again for all the info. Much appreciated