8 strand braids vs 4 strand braids braided lines?

Rate this topic

CanadaEh

Multifilament line, also referred to as The Super Lines, is a type of fishing line. It is a braided line which is made up of a type of polyethylene, an extremely thin line for its strength. By weight, polyethylene strands are five to ten times sturdier than steel. Multifilament line is almost similar to braided dacron in terms of sensitivity but a diameter about one-third that of monofilament.

Polyethylene (abbreviated PE) or polythene (IUPAC name polyethene or poly(methylene)) is the most common plastic. The annual production is approximately 80 million tonnes. Its primary use is in packaging (plastic bag, plastic films, geomembranes, containers including bottles, etc.). Many kinds of polyethylene are known, with most having the chemical formula (C2H4)nH2.Thus PE is usually a mixture of similar organic compounds that differ in terms of the value of n.

Different manufacturers have different weight and diameter ratings.

The color of dye changes the power.

"I'm against picketing, I just don't know how to show it."

For spinners it's tough to beat eight strand braids , the good ones are silky smooth and cast a mile , they also tend to be less noisy but they cost more .

I think the majority of anglers fish four strand lines because they are cheaper and they perform well on spinners and conventionals , they also tend to be a little more abrasion resistant but that varies a great deal from line to line.

If max distance, quietness and smoothness are a top priority then eight strand would be my choice but if you just want a dependable affordable braid i would stick with four strand.

On another note , superlines and braids do stretch , they don't stretch much but they do stretch , fireline fused has very little stretch compared to most other lines out there averaging between 2 - 5% while most true braids average 5 -7%.

As far as wind knot's , blame the angler in the overwhelming majority of cases and secondly the reel , some reels are notorious for leaving gaps at the very top or very bottom of the oscillation stroke and it won't matter how attentive you are, it will be a lost cause , they are wind knot machines.

Even adjusting line lay by adding or subtracting washers won't help because the reels are defective in their design , the spool measurements and oscillation stroke don't match up correctly. Luckily this is very rare and mostly applies to some reels that are not in production anymore.

If the above two reasons aren't it then it's probably a terrible mismatch between reel and rod , not very common but it happens.

Just follow the standard anti wind knot protocol and you'll be fine.

Used to use original power pro and tried a spool of jerry brown recently. No difference in distance or strength noted. Where I see a big difference is line drag, weather from wind or water. The jerry brown being more round and smooth vs. having a flat side like power pro (and other 4strands I assume) has much less bow and to me seems easier to keep good contact with lures in tough conditions. Besides the price difference is only a few dollars.

I have spent more than a fair share researching 8 or 4 stranded, waxed or un waxed, JB vs PP vs TT vs FL, and my conclusion is to buy a 1200 or 1500 spool of whatever pound test directly from a major retailer at the cheapest price.

Major retailers discount shipping for large orders, you don't have a problem with fakes, and honestly even if there is a difference in line diameter, strand, etc, chances are you'll break off before seeing the difference (if any).

Windknots are a casting style & spool design issue, not a line issue. Too much misinformation out there on this.

• 2 months later...

I thought they spoke English in Canada A ?

@flytyingguy1: only when we have something to say

@partcork & BigMahi12 & cnnashman: thank you for the info, I will give 8-stranded line a try next season

I thought they spoke English in Canada A ?

FTG1 - And Remember it is considered impolite should you be tempted to answere the Canada A' with a loud B and a chuckle.

I like the Suffix 832 braid.

CanadaEh I loved fishing for salmon out of Ucluelet, BC while staying aboard the mothership The Canadian Princess.. Almost 30 years ago, but one of my fondest fishing memories. The Oysters caught fresh on the Beack at Tofino were succulent! Welcome aboard SOL, Eh,

THis is a really interesting thread. Through my experience i've found most brads eventually handle identically after a few thousand casts. As in the beginning the coating really play a huge role in behavior. Out of the box. Basic power pro from 20 to 40 lb has cast the best. But being a course weave was very noisey. But. i believe that decreased friction and added distance.

Other than freshwater reels loaded with stndard suffix. Everything i've been using for the past 4 years has been 8- 16 carrier. And i can tell you without a doubt. Standard suffix is more sensitive than 832, Super slick, fireline tracer, Jerry brown. standard PP, Daiwa Boat braid,

The only ones that come close are fused fireine and super slick.

When using a medium heavy rod and reel loaded with 40lb braid, that the whole setup weighs 8 ounces.....It's crazy how certain braids....just don't transmit vibration well. I swear by Fireline tracer braid for the surf.....Tough as nails. Handles beautifully......But....I pulled it off all my fw baitcasters once i put power pro on. and was amased at the sensitivity increase....Pulled that off due to how deafening the noise was at night (which was a huge draw back) And for a couple years tried about a dozen different lines till settling on standard suffix as the best balance.

But for the surf. Sensitivity doesn't really mean much...Handling, durability and knot performance are the most important part. Fireline tracer has held up the best. Over 832, superslick, daiwa, diamond, tufline, and (jerry brown wears well but handles poorly due to it being way too limp)

Hope that helps.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims