winter pikie project....post your photos and group questions

Rate this topic

stripercrazy

I never build a one hook pikie.....this is the oldman story...he takes all the hooks off and puts a large hook on the back......its funny to see him get this nice plug that someone"s built and change it we've seen him do it to winch lol

winch worked hard getting the balance and oldman changed it:D

follower of rev Darryl Strawberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripercrazy View Post

fishing with winch and talking pikies I asked him for some help with a two hook pikie after talking to winch and he gave me one of his pikies this what I came up with....I my

self like 3 hooks on a pikie but they've been called 9 points of death by oldman and he won't help me land any pikie fish:D....he only uses one hook but that's another story lol1000

I have 8 in redwood turned ,sanded, and sealed ,my first ones. Range from 51/2'' to 6'' w/screw eyes.Est.21/2+ozs.when finished. I have finished several without the ''slope'' cut, would these also be considered Pikies? I've been getting my lips from Jenns netcraft, IYO should I look elsewhere for lips?     thanks RC

Food for thought..... place the hooks on that pikie like you would on a cigar plug. Situate the rear belly hook a little further back & eliminate the rear hook that typically is attached to the tail loop. Just leave the tail loop empty.... no Siwash , no teaser fly..... If the plug can handle 5/0's then go with 5/0's. You never know when Miss Piggy may come looking for a meal. For scooping out the face I cut a lot of it off with my band saw & then use a home made 5" drum sander I chuck up in the lathe. As for the action I prefer its a moderate roll with super sexy tail wag. It's my belief that the roll helps reflect the colors when light hits it & the tail wag creates a nice wake & plenty of noise. Give plenty of thought to lip slot placement (how high or low its cut on the face of the plug) size, shape & angle of lip. How much chin weight & how buoyant the individual pikie blank may be. Have fun.... a sweet swimming pikie is fun to fish with & can really produce at times. Even Winch and Jigman can get fish on them. :p;):D Mike

This was my first attempt at making a big pikie, made these this past winter

8.5" long, fully rigged the weigh 3.9oz to 4.25oz

pikie 4 lip, cut 6x 4/0 VMC hooks, 500 lb krok swivels, dressed flag on the end

these were turned from 2" clear AYC

they stay on top with a big tail wag on a slow steady retrieve but was able to get them to dive down about 4 feet on a moderate retrieve and once they were down they stayed there on slower retrieve.

didnt chin weight any as I was happy with the results, maybe not a true pikie action but a very nice plug for where I plan on throwing them. i used a big .5oz belly slug about half way between the belly hooks, maybe more towards the front hook, going by memory

these were a fun build for sure, one of the more enjoyable plugs ive built for myself.

i used a belt sand to do the head slope, i used an old lip to keep the plane even and just went real slow, it worked great.

didnt fish em too much though, which is kind of sad, no big bait around this season in my usual haunts, but did take a few fish on the pearl white one at the ditch and boulder fields, will have to fish em harder next year.

Chef

I tried my hand at a "Fake-ster" pikie this year for a guy on the board who couldn't get his hand on a large WB Fixter. It was floating like I liked it but I never got a review back so I can't say how it worked. I made a batch of 3oz pikies that I liked the action on, head down with the tail doing a nice S wake/slap.

I tried my hand at a "Fake-ster" pikie this year for a guy on the board who couldn't get his hand on a large WB Fixter. It was floating like I liked it but I never got a review back so I can't say how it worked.

One of my pet peves Benny, Go out of your way to give a guy a plug and no feed back :mad: Of course I probably just as guilty as the next guy! LOL

If you ask someone for a plug give them feedback. Good or bad we want to know. I have pretty much quit accepting others plugs from other builders. I'm too busy fishing my own to get themin my fishing line up.