Posted October 23 2013 - 9:06 PM

Posted Image

#2 TJones

TJones
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 8:40 AM

What size did you get Scoob? Tell us a little more. :-)

#3 AtTheBar

AtTheBar
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted October 24 2013 - 9:54 AM

Pics as well please.  When I first saw this thread I was expecting some pics and details and all I got was that S*** Eating Grin Smiley face  - You got me Scoob :hooked:.  Looking forward to hearing about your new toy and picking one up myself.

#4 yakfisherman5

yakfisherman5
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 10:30 AM

ur killin me scoobs :D

I only fish on days that end in y

#5 dano1089

dano1089
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted October 24 2013 - 12:37 PM

My Saragosa 5000SW was delivered this morning.

As usual with Shimano, the fit and finish is excellent.  It feels a little tighter than most Shimano reels, which I believe may be a testament to the "water resistant" seals.

It feels and looks pretty similar to the Stella 6000SW that I recently sold.   It's far to early to pass judgment, but the new Sara may be a big winner for Shimano and a great reel for the surf at a fair price.   It seems to posses many of the Stella's strong points at a fraction of the price.

#6 Evil-Bay

Evil-Bay
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi Dano,

Any pics of the new reel?  And do you have a Penn 5000 series you can compare it to as far as size?

#7 dano1089

dano1089
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted October 24 2013 - 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bay View Post

Hi Dano,

Any pics of the new reel?  And do you have a Penn 5000 series you can compare it to as far as size?

No pics yet, but I'll try and post some tonight depending on what time I get outta work.

The only Penn that I currently own is a Torque 5.  The Saragosa 5000SW is a bit smaller, lighter and has less line capacity than the Torque 5.  I would compare the 5000SW to a Penn Spinfisher V SSV4500 in size, weight and line capacity.

I purchased the Sara "Direct" from a popular on-line "Tackle" retailer and had them load it with 20# powerpro super 8.   They appear to have been able get all or close to 300 yards on the spool as the power pro container that they shipped with the reel was empty.

#8 dano1089

dano1089
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted October 24 2013 - 2:14 PM

One other feature that is nice about the Saragosa SW is that the bail is manual only.  I don't think there are too many other Shimano reels with a manual bail.  I'm not positive, but it sure looks like Shimano may have considered surf fisherman at least a little when they designed the new Saragosa.

#9 bospa357

bospa357
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 2:32 PM

I'll just pile on to Scooby's sentiments. :D:D:D SRG6000SW :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Evil-Bay

Evil-Bay
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 3:08 PM

Thats just dead sexy...

#11 Rapidfflow0

Rapidfflow0
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 6:01 PM

One other feature that is nice about the Saragosa SW is that the bail is manual only.  I don't think there are too many other Shimano reels with a manual bail.  I'm not positive, but it sure looks like Shimano may have considered surf fisherman at least a little when they designed the new Saragosa.

They definitely were looking at surf fishing as well as boats with this reel. I've never been asked or allowed to do the things to a prototype they requested I do during testing on this reel. Just a note on the manual bail. I am sure many are aware but do not continuously turn the handle with the bail in the open position. It is not good for this reel or any reel that is designed as a manual bail.
Glad they are out there and hopefully you guys enjoy them

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams

#12 R.R. Bridge Fisher

R.R. Bridge Fisher
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
  • LocationOxford,Mass.

Posted October 24 2013 - 6:24 PM

i'm gonna get me a 10,000 for my 11' century :drool:

troll#122  <*)))<

#13 dano1089

dano1089
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted October 24 2013 - 6:32 PM

If you're at liberty to say, I'd love to hear some detail around what you were asked to subject the prototype to especially as it relates to surf fishing applications.

#14 Rapidfflow0

Rapidfflow0
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 6:54 PM

If you're at liberty to say, I'd love to hear some detail around what you were asked to subject the prototype to especially as it relates to surf fishing applications.

Dano I'm not going to go into specifc details and let me state right up front they are not a vs or a zb but the prototype withstood 6 nights of wetsuiting on block and everything that goes with it. In no way am I recommending anyone swim with this reel I am just pointing out that Surfcasting was certainly on shimano's mind with this reel.

Also remember this was a prototype that we were attempting to find its limits. I have not fished the final version.

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams

#15 lichum

lichum
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,979 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 7:04 PM

I'll just pile on to Scooby's sentiments. :D:D:D SRG6000SW :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

:clap: Nice and sleek. :clap:

The last picture really shows the reel's attractiveness.

This Saragosa is the nicest I've ever seen.

Self-discipline is the cardinal personal virtue.