American Tackle's new Titan titanium guides

Rate this topic

raekwon

All rodbuilders should buy a set of Titans, a set of Ti-Cermets...wrap them on a blank of their choice...then beat the crap out of them in the salt, surf, and pick up truck...then have a vote in four years on the best guide!!!

Now I'm getting some answers! Thanks Sage.

I have two rods to do over the winter. I'll try em both and we'll revisit this thread later.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 2 months later...

Guys,

With regard to Amtaks Titan guides, there are 2 things to consider. The titanium alloy material that the frame is comprised of and 2nd, the Nanolite material that the ring is made of. According to Amtak the titanium frame will provide lightness and corrosion resistance. Regardig the ring material, I do not know if there is a PVD coating or it is made from a solid Nanolite material.

I have always used Fuji's SIC guides with great success but saw the Titan's in the 2005 Mudhole catalog and am considering trying them mainly for the corrosion resistance of titanium. However I am not sure how the nanolite ring material compares to SIC.

I would appreciate any feedback regarding these riings.

I doubt many if any here will be able to provide feedback on these. Buy them yourself and report back to us. They are supposedly harder than Alconite, not as hard as SIC. Does it really matter though? Hardaloy is more than sufficient for most of teh fishing we do.

Corrosion proof, or resistant, or magnet?

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

I recently got 5 of the Pac Bay Ti guides to use as stripping guides on a 14 weight fly rod.

I must say they look nice and are a good match to the Struble Ti reel seat and some H&H Ti snake guides.

But with the trouble I had with American guides I am worried about using them, and in a year having to stick some Fuji's on.

Should I give them the acid test for a year, bite the bullet and report the results after a season of use??

chris

Au2K

At the prices listed a set of guides is approaching the price of a good blank! Not for nothing but I've never found Amtaks to be the equivalent of Fujis, all across the board. And Billy's right,Hardaloys are more than enough guide for the way we use em.

John you got way too much time on your hands if you're seesawing mono over guides and counting the strokes...how bout building me a nice fly rod instead...ti gold cermets maybe, if they meet with your approval. wink.gif

2 of the rods I wrapped last winter used some Ti or similar products.

1 was a 7' spinner and it had the fancy multi colored halo something guides that Am tech makes (I'm not sure if the guide frames are supposed to be Ti or not). I did not care for the rod as in rinsing except for by rain. The guides got corrosion on them in short order.

I wrapped a fluke rod, (a Bill40 Lami deal) with the Ti guides from Pac Bay, also a Ti reel seat, can't remember if it was an Am Tech or a Batston product. The Ti band on the reel seat on that rod as well as another rod I put one on are as green as the statue of liberty was before she got a bath. The guides have a small amount of green on them, but seem slightly more corrosion resistant than the Halo guides.

Like I said, I didn't rinse anything, only the rain did any cleaning. All in all they faired as I thought they would. Not that bad or not that good. None of the corrosion rendered any of the rods useless, but if they are supposed to make the rod "look" better, they aint redface.gif .

I'd buy the Ti stuff for rods that will only see fresh water, but never again for anything that will be used for the salt.

$.02

Aloha. The "Titanium" on the older Amtak and Pac Bay guides were a coating. I still can't determine if the coating is on the ring only or the frame and ring. My "holo ringed" guide frames from Amtak have some corrosion after just 2 "soft" seasons in the Hawaiian salt. That said, Fuji's titanium and the new Amtak Titan guides are titanium alloy frames. My Fuji titaniums, both SIC and Cermet are going 10 years+ of heavy usage in saltwater and not even a hint of corrosion. Amtak-We'll see in a few seasons.

• 9 months later...