Penn Regiment reviews?

Rate this topic

Craiger12

Spoke to my friend who said he has the 7footer. He loves it. He originally bought it as an extra rod to use as a light tackle setup for back bay areas. It has quickly become his go to rod for surfcasting With lures 2oz and under.

Anyone had a chance to fish these rods? Wondering how they perform.

I have the 7-foot 10- to 17# class rod. Can't say enough good things about it. Just superb. I'm using the rod in the bucktail casting striper video at the top of the homepage and in the fluke casting video that I put up a couple days ago.

I have the 7-foot 10- to 17# class rod. Can't say enough good things about it. Just superb. I'm using the rod in the bucktail casting striper video at the top of the homepage and in the fluke casting video that I put up a couple days ago.

Thank you for your input Mr. Skinner. I have watched just about all of your videos, and read your book on bucktailing, and both are superb. They have helped me immensely as a beginner. It was actually your videos that sparked my interest in the Regiment series. How heavy have you gone on the 7' 10-17lb model? I'm looking for a rod that will handle bucktails and other lures in the 1/2-2oz range or so and was thinking the 7'6" 12-20lb model might be the better option? Thanks again for the excellent videos and book.

Thank you for your input Mr. Skinner. I have watched just about all of your videos, and read your book on bucktailing, and both are superb. They have helped me immensely as a beginner. It was actually your videos that sparked my interest in the Regiment series. How heavy have you gone on the 7' 10-17lb model? I'm looking for a rod that will handle bucktails and other lures in the 1/2-2oz range or so and was thinking the 7'6" 12-20lb model might be the better option? Thanks again for the excellent videos and book.

2 ounces would be a little much for the 10/17 rod. Just note that the handle on the 12/20 is longer. I had a blast with the legion 15/30 on tarpon in Florida. It took some abuse on those fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskinner View Post

Mr.Skinner,

I have watched your videos.  I have seen videos of you using this Penn Rod and the Mojo inshore rod.  Are the 2 that much different?  I think you said you had the Mojo MIS70MHF inshore spinning rod. The Mojo is cheaper then the Penn inshore rod.  Can you give some insight of the 2 rods since you have used both?  I plan on buying 1 of the two and pairing it with a Battel 4000 reel.

Mr.Skinner,

I have watched your videos.  I have seen videos of you using this Penn Rod and the Mojo inshore rod.  Are the 2 that much different?  I think you said you had the Mojo MIS70MHF inshore spinning rod. The Mojo is cheaper then the Penn inshore rod.  Can you give some insight of the 2 rods since you have used both?  I plan on buying 1 of the two and pairing it with a Battel 4000 reel.

I don't hava a Mojo. I have a St. Croix PS70MHF rated 8-14#. I just like the Regiment a little better. Both are good rods.

I don't hava a Mojo. I have a St. Croix PS70MHF rated 8-14#. I just like the Regiment a little better. Both are good rods.

You seem to prefer 7' inshore rods. Is there a reason for this? Are you not concerned with casting distance in these situations or do you not notice a significant difference? Or maybe this isn't the case and it just seems so from what I have seen.

You seem to prefer 7' inshore rods. Is there a reason for this? Are you not concerned with casting distance in these situations or do you not notice a significant difference? Or maybe this isn't the case and it just seems so from what I have seen.

In bay situations, or Florida, or casting for albies, I definitely like 7-foot rods. I like 9s on LI Sound and calm to moderate ocean conditions, and 11-footers beyond that. I don't own an 8 and rarely use my 10. I'm matching the rod to the payload, expected fish, conditions, and setting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskinner View Post

I stand corrected.  I thought you used a mojo inshore rod when you made the Sluggo video.  Thanks for your input.