Game Changer

Rate this topic

sidelock

I watched the video and decided to try figuring it out myself. I did not have brushes, so just tied it the way I would normally tie Puglisi bunkers (slab fly). I have to admit, I was really happy with how it turned out, BUT very disappointed in how it fished. It just didn't swim like the one in the video. Not sure why. Maybe I need to trim the fibers near the joints? Not sure If I am going to try again. Oh, and I made my own spines out of paper clips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HillTop View Post

So, are you catching more fish since you started using them?

HT

As we all know fishing is not always 100%. But I can be very honest with you about these Pulse Disks. I am not promoting them because I get them for free or blah blah blah. I speak to Bob Popovics a few times each week. I was speaking with him about his silicone mullet fly lip. He said no more silicone lips needed. He wanted me to try out these Pulse Disks. Master Bob gave these pulse disks a great review and uses them a lot. So I decided to go out and buy them. Bob Popovics gave these Pule Disks great reviews.

As we all know, when the fish are thick, they will hit anything in there way. When fishing is slow or when the fish are keyed in on a certain characteristic, I think these disks truly help. There is no way possible to obtain this baitfish movement without these disks. Would you rather have your fly swimming straight with "soso" movement, or swimming side to side with a sluggo type movement? Honestly in my experience, I truly believe my hook up rate is higher when using these disks. I use them on everything. From tiny clousers and jiggies to large 5/0 6/0 flatwings, BTD and Bunker flies. Its hard for me to sit here and explain, but you will understand once you try the disks on your own. Simply watch the video, use the disk and a non slip mono loop knot, and watch the fly light up in movement, it truly is crazy.

JUST make sure you have the proper sized disk compared to the fly. That is the main point to achieve proper action. I should really make a video and post it on here. It takes a few tries, but once you figure out the proper sized disk to the fly, the movement is crazy! Easy to cast, easy to tie on, I truly love them. I currently own over 60 pulse disks, I bought them in every size. 

Also check out the Brinefly Innovation Pulse Disk page and send an email to the owner/inventor Jim. He is truly a class act, who answered every question I emailed to him! To be honest, I was somewhat hesitant in the beginning, but now I cannot tie on a fly without adding a pulse disk!!!! 

Do yourself a favor and buy a single small pack with a few disks for a few bucks and sample them out. You will thank me later! TRUST ME!

Trump 2016!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devo View Post

I watched the video and decided to try figuring it out myself. I did not have brushes, so just tied it the way I would normally tie Puglisi bunkers (slab fly). I have to admit, I was really happy with how it turned out, BUT very disappointed in how it fished. It just didn't swim like the one in the video. Not sure why. Maybe I need to trim the fibers near the joints? Not sure If I am going to try again. Oh, and I made my own spines out of paper clips.

Beautiful fly man! I just received my order of fish spines, but i hear a lot of people talking about your same problem - they tie the fly and complete it, but the swimming action is no where what the video shows? I have to tie my own fly to see how these fish spines work - but for now, PULSE DISKS are my favorite product for fly movement.

Trump 2016!

Three reasons they're not swimming right, one being the tail. Depending on how you make it, it will have a tendency to ride horizontal, not vertical.  Two, if the head profile is not balanced, i.e. too much goo / uneven proportions & 3 is weight in the head vs. keel weight. 

That hook is not heavy enough to keel out the fly, & combined with the big tail it's going to swim on its side. 

I think the spines would hold up fine, but I really only tied it to see how it would come out, etc. and didn't really think about durability.

Three reasons they're not swimming right, one being the tail. Depending on how you make it, it will have a tendency to ride horizontal, not vertical.  Two, if the head profile is not balanced, i.e. too much goo / uneven proportions & 3 is weight in the head vs. keel weight. 

That hook is not heavy enough to keel out the fly, & combined with the big tail it's going to swim on its side. 

Watching it swim in the water, it swam perfectly vertical, it just didn't have any real action. The tail stayed vertical and the hook was pretty much always on the bottom. It just had no body movement like the one in the video. I didn't put any clear goo on the head. Maybe that would help?

Just putting joints into a fly isn't enough to make swim. That swimming action comes from the fly being knocked off balance like with the pulse discs or the lip on a silicone or built in weight in the tail that makes the back of the fly want to overtake the front when stripped hard. So I still can't work out how it gets the perfect action?