young

The "Insects" Thread

1,569 posts in this topic

Butterfly #2 morphed a couple of days ago, cocoon is more brown than #1 5b4b9056a7eb1_chrysalis2.thumb.jpg.0665443cfcb4c886bf4fc99288c103cc.jpg

Not growing, eggs are showing up on wife's parsley, not sure if they were on the plant when she bought them or  were laid on plant after we brought home. She had a butterfly raising kit  from a project she did with the local Environmental Club and decided to try and watch them grow and change to butterfly. Have had the caterpillars on plants in the past, but didn't have a kit, so Mother Nature took it's course (caterpillars were probably eaten by birds). These last 2 that I posted should be ready to  morph in another week or so

Posted (edited)

No. 3 morphed today, still waiting on #2IMG_20180722_120928.thumb.jpg.530ab3574640eaab343efcb95952033c.jpg

Edited by fluke07

Numbers 4 & 5 found today, this caterpillar is about 1/8" of an inch long

#4 caterpillar.jpg

Not sure what this is but there's plenty of them buzzing around my milkweed along with the bumble bees, mason bees, honey bees, and a few other unidentified species.

lr-8236.jpg

This moth appeared on the front of my house. It's huge, 1 1/2" × 2 1/2". That coloration beats any Realtree pattern I've ever seen. 

20180724_200621-1.jpg