Hudson River Fishing Report - They finally arrived!

Rate this topic

RJ

Thought that was the Pat Abate from CT at first.

Pat Abate from Ct is 10 with a 42.5 inch fish. Walsh caught a 47.75 inch fish on May 8th. Abate was first for about a day back in April. This is the big league, not the Housatonic.

:violin: Abate rested on his big fish and 9 other folks beat him to a pulp.

richs, you gotta stay intouch on a semi daily basis. the first week in May there were 5 winners with Walsh hoping to hang in with the largest fish for the $6.300+ first prize. P. Abate is out of the money by 5 places.

I shoulda went north last week. the Hudson River Striped Bass spawning has begun and if this cold wind doesn't shut the river down with a below 58 degree Water Tempature, it will be over by Friday.

Next stop Cape Code. The fish you see me holding was 41.75 inches so I'm still behind P. Abate. Perhaps I'll beat him at the cape. I got a vest pocket umbrella rig and a large mackeral plug that will be dredging channels from Chatham to Barnstable for the winner of the Striper Cup. :rav:

May 14th Report. River Water Temps in the 60's.

Hudson River Fishing Report – Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Judging from most of the reports we received here at the River Basin the past weekend’s action was just what we expected – the 2013 striped bass run was right at its peak. Stories of anglers landing from seven to as many as a dozen stripers in just one outing were being retold here as fishermen checked in after a day on the river. River temperature was found to be ranging between 63 and 67 degrees and this factor brought about a multitude of observations of surface spawns taking place throughout the waterway.

The cooling trend at the start of this week will help slow down and extend the spawning period in the river but as we know from past experience - this will not stop it. As any female stripers finish their spawn they will start their journey back downriver to saltwater… but there still will remain thousands of others which have yet to accomplish this chore. Additionally, there still always appear to be newer arrivals on the scene with eggs that appear to be very green, and these will be hanging around for some time yet.

As of late this morning reports from the river at Catskill were of very good action. Most assuredly not all anglers scored well, but that is normal even during the best of times. However, stripers ranging in size from 22 to 36 inches still appeared to be plentiful and reports of several fish in the 38 to 39 inch size came in. Reports of an overabundance of river herring have been the norm throughout this year.

Our reports from farther upriver in the Bethlehem to Albany area seem to have dried up so we don’t really know what’s happening up there. In the Ravena – New Baltimore area medium size fish are still being caught. Four Mile Point, just north of Athens, still is reporting good action but with lots of smaller stripers.

The Catskill area by the Rip VanWinkle Bridge is still producing good fishing with stripers ranging up to about 38 inches. In the Saugerties area Jon Sullivan reports that the fishing for stripers still remains very good with some fish ranging up to about 39 inches being taken. Reports from further down river are scanty – we can’t let you know what’s happening there unless you tell us.

It now appears that you’ve probably still got a good shot at some great striper fishing, perhaps right through this coming weekend – but the striper population will be on the decline from this point on. In actuality this is a time that some of the great striper fishermen on the river look forward to. They feel that there is less competition for their bait from the smaller fish and therefore the true lunkers have a better shot at getting to it. But - the only way to see if this is true is to get out there and find out for yourself. Good luck! Tom G

Sounds like an excellent spawning Run. We will see what the YOY netting in Sept tells us about the numbers.

I love reading this stuff...........................like listening to the game....:theman:

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

I love reading this stuff...........................like listening to the game....:theman:

I don't have a TV at my NJ Fish Camp, but i can listen to Yankee Baseball and Switch ouver to My Bo Sox's on HM Sat. Radio. Take it out to the porch when the sun is going down and it's like being back in the fifties. "There goes Garden to third. Now The Yankees can tie the game with an out" Now the count 3 and 2 with 1 out.Nicks goes down swinging. Robbie Cano comes up to bat with two outs and Gardner on Third with the tieing run. Bottom of the 9th." Whilhelmsen throws a 98 mph fast ball. Count one and two.

Cano hits a dribble to short, the throw to first on time. The Game is over!! Seattle WINS!!! Seattle, WINS!

The bottom of the 9th. Boston Leads 4 to 3 with Tampa at Bat. The Bo Sox went ahead with a 3 run top of the 9th. 1, 2, 3. Boston WINS. YEEEESSSSS!

I know what you mean Mr. Bigdeal! Classic summer sounds!!

Thanks for the update. My buddy and I will be headed up the Hudson this Friday. We finally both got a day off of work and I can't wait to throw a line in the water. He is letting me borrow a kayak so I can have a my first hands on experience with a kayak. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Excited to go fishing and nervous flipping the kayak lol.