Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loligo

Striped bass commercial season to remain status quo for this year.

75 posts in this topic

For years I've made many posts explaining my opposition to the MA rod n reel season.  You can look it up...

Main points-

Each year 50,000+ bass over 34" - the kind of bass most anglers just dream of - are removed from MA waters by a very small group.  

Uh hu...how many are caught by anglers? 6X as many....next.

My compromise - Anyone who can show they've held a comm license for at least 10 years straight and can show the bass make up a meaningful portion of their income every year (other words identify the people the comm season truly helps financially and has for some time) can continue to fish the rod and reel season.  And they can continue to take the 10 year average of weight they've landed the past decade.  But now they'd keep every fish they catch regardless of size.

Unrealistic, but almost OK. The problem with your conditions is that some guys don't fish every year for bass, just like some guys don't fish every year for tuna....

This way the true salts and water folks aren't harmed, but they make up such a small percentage of the comm picture now days that the overall take would be slashed 50-60%. 

My plan keeps the true comm fishermen active but cuts out the bass for gas crowd.

:th: :th:

Thanks for a thoughtful reply though.

Sure recs catch many many more big bass - they outnumber the comms 1000 to 1 !!  You left that part out.  A very small group, less than 1,000 comms take 50,000 big bass (and actually within that number an even smaller number of comms take the vast majority of those 50000 big bass) , while 1,000,000 recs take 300,000 big bass (using your own number here).  (Plus, I stated something else you left out - the rec take is way too high and should be cut back).

so roughly-

the rec ratio: 10 anglers for every 3 big bass

the comm ratio: 1 angler for every 50 big bass

That's a huge imbalance, and a poor distribution of a limited resource to boot.

Can't we have ONE fish left alone by the comms.  Is that too much to ask?  one fish...

Sure recs catch many many more big bass - they outnumber the comms 1000 to 1 !!  You left that part out.  A very small group, less than 1,000 comms take 50,000 big bass (and actually within that number an even smaller number of comms take the vast majority of those 50000 big bass) , while 1,000,000 recs take 300,000 big bass (using your own number here).  (Plus, I stated something else you left out - the rec take is way too high and should be cut back).

so roughly-

the rec ratio: 10 anglers for every 3 big bass

the comm ratio: 1 angler for every 50 big bass

That's a huge imbalance, and a poor distribution of a limited resource to boot.

Can't we have ONE fish left alone by the comms.  Is that too much to ask?  one fish...

Your logic leaves out the entirety of the non fishing, but fish consuming public. By your logic cod is taken by even fewer people and cod is in much much worse shape than stripers....so we oughta what? Using your same reasoning I could turn around and say that for the thousands of anglers, the public is left out, mind you only less than 5% of the people fish, so a few folks can go catch fish for fun....

A very small group, less than 1,000 comms take 50,000 big bass (and actually within that number an even smaller number of comms take the vast majority of those 50000 big bass) , while 1,000,000 recs take 300,000 big bass (using your own number here).

You could also look at it this way-

10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish...

Quote:

Originally Posted by loligo View Post

Your logic leaves out the entirety of the non fishing, but fish consuming public. By your logic cod is taken by even fewer people and cod is in much much worse shape than stripers....so we oughta what? Using your same reasoning I could turn around and say that for the thousands of anglers, the public is left out, mind you only less than 5% of the people fish, so a few folks can go catch fish for fun....

I include the economic impact each side brings.  Stripers generate a huge economic value from the recreational effort, the MA comm effort generates a tiny amount in comparison.  Recreational cod fishing, while a meaningful $$ figure is dwarfed by the striper rec market.  And actually the cod were cut way back, the comm side anyway.

But we are talking about the MA striper comm season and those rec anglers interested stripers.  I'm trying to stick to that.

I include the economic impact each side brings.  Stripers generate a huge economic value from the recreational effort, the MA comm effort generates a tiny amount in comparison.  Recreational cod fishing, while a meaningful $$ figure is dwarfed by the striper rec market.  And actually the cod were cut way back, the comm side anyway.

But we are talking about the MA striper comm season and those rec anglers interested stripers.  I'm trying to stick to that.

We are talking about fish...stripers are a fish. People eat fish... most people don't actually catch their own fish.

When you eliminate commercial fishing for stripers, you eliminate the non fishing public's access to the fishery....you can't put a price on that.

All this aside, there's room for both and I do agree that the fishery should only be for folks who actually fish for a living and not for gas money and such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loligo View Post

We are talking about fish...stripers are a fish. People eat fish... most people don't actually catch their own fish.

When you eliminate commercial fishing for stripers, you eliminate the non fishing public's access to the fishery....you can't put a price on that.

All this aside, there's room for both and I do agree that the fishery should only be for folks who actually fish for a living and not for gas money and such.

Actually, you can put a price on it - that's what happens everyday at auction.  There's a price folks are willing to pay and if the fish goes too high they just won't buy it- whether they want it or not.  A similar argument to yours was used when the comm seasons for redfish were about to be shut down in the Gulf and S. Atlantic.  Well, we all know how that story turned out - everyone profited in the long run.  The $$$ value of the rec/charter redfish fishery down there has exploded.  Seeing how that fishery reacted when virtually shut down and how the stripers responded after the 36"/no comm fishing moratorium I feel pretty certain the bass would boom big time if all comm fishing was sharply reduced and the rec limits went up to at least 32" and one fish/day.

Assuming you association is for primarily for comms I can't tell you how encouraging it is to me to hear you say that you agree the bass for gas crowd should be eliminated.  Now, if your mindset includes reducing the quota because there would be many fewer anglers then we'd really be talking.  Because just cutting down the numbers of comms means essentially nothing if the same number of bass will be caught.  If the percentage of fish the bass for gas crowd kills was removed from the quota - say 40%, I wouldn't exactly be happy but I'd feel a whole lot better about the MA comm season.

One fish, one fish free of comm harvest and with strict rec limits - is that really too much to ask?

One fish, one fish free of comm harvest and with strict rec limits - is that really too much to ask?

Oh give it a break.......

It was decided yesterday at the MFC meeting in Lincoln, it was decided that the striped bass commercial fishery will stay the same as last years rules. Period.

Too bad, it's time for gamefish status in MA.

Slack Tidings, note the dates in the thread. :read: The state will be revisiting this before next season, you can be sure of that. What we can't be sure of is the outcome. Rumors that they are considering a 1 fish limit, but only rumors at this point.

I'm referring to rec limits only, not comm. But they'll have hearings on those too.

-bd

I'm talking zero commercial harvesting of the striped bass. Gamefish status. Lower rec limits are great as well -even better yet with a limited window. I'd also like to see party/charter boats labeled as commercial fishers.