White Perch?

Rate this topic

I plan on going out this weekend for some squid and probably White Perch. Ive caught white perch in the Ipswich river fishing for Yellow perch but they were all really small. Do any of guys fish for them? What types of lures and bait would you suggest? I plan on picking up a bucket of minnows and giving it a whirl in the Parker

Your early for squid but you might find some perch . When I lived on the North Shore the Parker had a nice run up behind Gov Dummer Academy. Gold Kastmasters, grass shrimp or small mumpers.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition by meidiocre minds.
A.E

Your early for squid but you might find some perch . When I lived on the North Shore the Parker had a nice run up behind Gov Dummer Academy. Gold Kastmasters, grass shrimp or small mumpers.

Heard from OTW that some people caught squid so I thought I would go out and check it out. And thats exactly where im going for the Perch!! Thanks for your suggestions

• 2 years later...

Came across this thread, i know its spawning season for white perch im looking to catch some but im not really sure where to go. These 2 rivers have white perch right now during this time of the season? Are there alot of them in the river

I tried the Parker so many times for white perch and never caught anything. I don't think there's a fishery anymore but I could be wrong. I fished behind the Governor Dummer Academy and Rt 1 area. An old timer told me to go fish where the railroad bridge is but on google map it is a long walk and difficult access.

On the other hand the river just across the NH border has a decent white perch run!

While I catch freshwater landlocked white perch all the time, the last time I consistently caught sea run white perch that migrated up a river from saltwater in any numbers was down when I lived just outside of DC, in the Potomac and Occoquan Rivers...since moving to New England, over 25 years ago, I've caught exactly 3 sea run white perch, including one honking 15" fish down in Wareham, MA a few years ago

I tried the Parker so many times for white perch and never caught anything. I don't think there's a fishery anymore but I could be wrong. I fished behind the Governor Dummer Academy and Rt 1 area. An old timer told me to go fish where the railroad bridge is but on google map it is a long walk and difficult access.

On the other hand the river just across the NH border has a decent white perch run!

I remember seeing folks lined up at Dummer (tough name for an academy) in the late 70s/early 80s, then I moved there mid 80s and had same experience as you. Did well for rainbows upstream of the falls, always dreamed of a few washing into salt but that never panned out for me either. Is that NH river first hand info - have heard other rumors as well...

When i was young in the 70's i would go with my uncles up the north river in a small boat.They had a spot where the water branched off and ran into this pond looking area.They would go at high tide,set a net across the small channel that went to the pond,and wait for the tide to go out.The net would be so full of white perch that they would struggle to get them all in the boat.Once in a while there would be bass or a salmon in the net.I am curious if they are in the north river anymore.

Sea run white perch seem to be pretty idiosyncratic to me.  The only time I can catch any is between sunset and dark, about a 40 minute window.  Sunlight hurts their eyes.  Pre-spawning/early, like lately, could only hookup between 7:45 to 8 pm, then its dark.  They are a tasty fish, but have a nasty habit of pooping all over themselves when caught.  Be extra clean and carefull when cleaning, and let us know if you get the runs!

Edited by isleomaniac
Worm Hatch Inspector.

Numbers are definetly way down, I partially blame it on the population explosion of cormorants.  So if you catch any, let the spawning females go, and keep a couple of males.  The spawning males show up ready for work around 4/28 and into early May.  Before that I just seem to find a few pre-spawn females.  Last evenings bite began 15 minutes earlier at 7:30 where I caught 3- 7" perch on my 2 wt fly rod using a shrimp fly.  Then at 7:45 I got a 15" fat female and released her, then it was dead, and dark.  When it is sunny, you have about a 30-40 minute window before it is dark, less time using a fly rod, like about 20 minutes.  If using bait you can catch fish earlier in the evening.  Also if it is cloudy the time frame can be longer, from 6:30 to 8 pm.  A couple years ago I caught 17 good sized fish on the fly rod on May 2, most of those were spawning males that finally came in.  That was a day that clouded up at 5 pm, and I caught fish from 6:30-7:30. 

Worm Hatch Inspector.

Hey HFG use to fish the N. river also, grew up on Cornhill lane.  There were always some guys that came down from "the city" just to fish for WP. Sitting on they're white buckets.  They use to do pretty good.  This was way back in the mid '70's.  Was a nice place to grow up back then.  Scott