Jim DE

Whatz'it?

1,284 posts in this topic

Mike NJ suggested this kind of thread and I could not sleep so I decided to play with a macro around the house for a bit..............

We are surrounded by a world that is literally right at our feet but do we really know what things really look like. This is a "guess the item" thread which will most likely be items shot with a macro techniques but does not have to be. I suggest when posting to leave a hint as well because some shots can really be tough to identify without some kind of direction for the observer to focus on.

Format your shots something like this: (might be best to have a single item per post but we will see how this goes.... it could be formatted like the photo scramble thread where it stays up till guessed then who guessed it posts his or her "whatz'it" ... looking for suggestions here)

Hunting items

Fishing item:

Sports item:

Seasoning:

Commonly seen in a kitchen:

I would suggest we use common outdoor or indoor items but just in a perspective we do not generally see the items as...... Feel free to offer suggestion on this as I am just throwing this out there right now ;)

Can you guess the above items? I selected some fairly common items to get this rolling.........

Jim, thanks for starting this. I was going to, but just never seem to find the time to do much anymore.

My only suggestions to the thread is for someone to take 2 shots of their subject, one thats the original Whatz'it?, and another from a broader perspective that can be posted after the item is identified so those of us who didnt guess it can see what it is were looking at.

And I like your idea of doing it like the outdoor photo scramble where the next person posts a subject, the only thing I would say is to either make sure whoever guesses has a photo ready to go, or suggest that if they don't, they defer to someone who does, just to keep things moving along.

Oh yeah, and you need to sharpen your hooks ;)

I think the first two are some kind of bullets then a bucktail then a tennis ball then baco's and grease?What I win?:D

Very close VTgirl..... the first is a polymer tipped .460S&W mag bullet... second is a XXX buckshot .410 shell. Third it the buck tail treble hook on a Habs plug. Tennis ball is correct but the seasoning is red pepper flakes and the last is dishwater bubbles.

As far as what do you get? You get to put the next "whatz'it" pic up ...... if you want to :)

Just as a memory jogger ... You don't have to have a camera or lens that does macro to post extreme close ups to be guessed. Your crop selector in what ever software you use can do the same thing abiet a bit less IQ. But hey we are not looking for IQ here but images that make one think and be challenged.

Laura, I'd guess a striper, but thats just a guess.

And Fizzy, I'm thinking some kind of quartz? Maybe an amethyst?