Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fin Nor Biscyane 80/ Sportfisher 80 teardown

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I picked up a Fin Nor Biscayne FS80 last time I was in Sydney for $130. looking around the internet it seems this reel is called the Sportfisher FS80 everywhere else. I was dying to see what the insides of the FS80 looks like so I took it apart last night. I have been using the reel for the past four months for fishing from a wharf here in Fiji for GTs. My reel is now on its second spool of 100lb braid due to the line getting shorter every time some fish cuts me of on the coral. The reel takes just under 300yards of 100lb

When I first loaded the line, I checked the amount of max drag available with the assistance of my next door neighbor. Bimini on the main line attached to a twisted 100lb leader loop to loop to which tied a 300lb swivel and 300lb split ring and that hooked onto the 100lb hand scales with a dowel through the scales hanger which my neighbor holds. He sits on the floor with his back on a wall and feet braced onto the floor and I screw up the drag and walk backwards. The max I got with just a touch under a complete know screw down was 26kg while ripping about 20m of line off. Wasn't easy doing this. This is how much I screw up the drag when I hookup as the GTs only need to run a few metres to cut off on the coral here. I have even had to grip the spool sometimes to stop a fish from reaching an old wharf wood pile. Without much success as the hooks would bend or leader break or something

I was impressed with the way the bail arm, main shaft and reel stem took the abuse so was keen to see what the rest of the reel was like and at the same time check what needed a service. Thought I'd take some pics and show you fellas how she is built. I dont know much about the insides of the reels but Alan Hawks thorough articles is a good reference

I also did a google search for parts info and found these two shops supply the parts and that they are very reasonably priced e.g complete spool and drag washers for under $25 and a gear kit consisting of the main, pinion and a couple of washers were $13. tackle service also has a schematic although even though this is only the third reel I have ever taken apart I did not need to refer to it as this was very straight forward (actually I did refer to it when I got confused putting the bail roller components back together :) )

Rod-n-Reel Depot

Welcome to *******.com - FIN-NOR SPORTFISHER SPIN REEL SZ 80

The pics

The reel on the 7'8" popping rod

p><p>  The handle, feels solid and screws down well into the main gear, There is no play and doesn

Opening her up, the side plate is screwed down by 4 stainless steel screws and have a HDPE type washer under the head]

Side plate off, the body walls are thick metal. On the side plate there are locating posts next to the screw holes with corresponding pits in the body, good for correct alignment and the fit is perfect. The best thing is the sideplate comes off without having to take the rotor off and would make for easy service. The insides look pretty simple with a minimum of parts. No drops of water collected anywhere

There is a channel in the side plate that a leg from the traverse cam rides in. The anondising had rubbed off a bit but there was no gouging or wear of the metal in evidence. I do wish there was at least a roller bushing on the cam to ride on. I dont know how it will bode for the long term wear but I have been fishing almost 7 days a week in the last 4 months so hopefully wont be too bad if I take care not to winch under heavy loads]

The main shaft comes out by unscrewing from the traverse cam. Its stainless and chunky and doesn't wobble at all inside the pinion, must be a nice fit

The traverse cam, looks like some sort of alloy and feels fairly hefty and there is no signs of wear, hope it stays like this for a while yet]

The main gear, again looks like some sort of alloy and feels very hefty. Couldn't see any signs of damage or chipping. Tried gouging with the blade and its not a soft alloy. The blade can do some serious damage to regular window frame aluminum. The gear looks to be all one piece and a good tight fit into the main gear bearings which themselves were a good fit into the body. The main gear has bearings on both sides that press into moldings in the body frame. The bearings are listed as double shielded. The gear ratio is listed as 4.9:1 and together with the large spool must have a good retrieve rate as I didnt feel any trouble picking up slack when working the large cup poppers

Main gear removed, showing the oscillation gear. Again a hefty alloy unit that was difficult to gouge with the blade. There is another channel in the body frame for the traverse cam to ride on. Again no gouging of the metal and the anondising was intact too. seems to be a good amount of grease on everything from the assembly line]

Oscillation gear removed, the gear fits onto a stainless steel bushing that is perm attached to the frame but rotates freely. I think I remember Alan Hawk pointing out that a bushing here is better then a bearing due to less play and better then the gear being mounted directly onto the body frame

On the rotor side now. Rotor nut cap off by removing two screws. back of the cap has a moulding to make the rotor nut captive. As mentioned previously the cap is a hard plastic]

The rotor nut is brass, was nice and tight but also didnt need any extreme effort to undo and was nice and thick for a good grip with a spanner

Underside of the rotor looks nice and clean. The only thing protruding is the bail trip]

Rotor removed, showing the clutch assembly and the bail trip stuff

Clutch assembly off, looks like the antireverse bearing is cupped in an alloy housing]

The antireverse bearing runs on a long stainless steel collar that is mounted over the pinion there is a narrow brass collar on the leading edge. I couldnt see any signs of corrosion or wear on the clutch parts the whole thing was dripping in oil

The clutch housing with the antireverse bearing taken out. Again a hefty alloy unit with moldings in the inside to hold the antireverse bearing captive]

The antireverse bearing. the cup is stainless steel with a wave pattern to match the molding in the housings inner wall. inside the cup is a sturdy looking nylon body with the stainless steel rollers a fitted in and tensioned with stainless steel spring legs that themselves are molded into the nylon body. I dont think the springs will go for a walkabout inside the bearing. No sign of corrosion inside and no wear on the stainless steel collar it rides on. Plenty of oil dripping through

The pinion is secured to the body frame with these two screws]

The pinion is a brass unit with the stainless steel collar that the antireverse rides on and the pinion bearing that also forms a barrier of sort into the main body. Another of those touted double shielded bearings on the box the reel came in. The gear teeth looked fine and free from any damage or chipping and such

Lol putting the beasty back together, missed putting in the main gear bearing on the side plate side, two screws in and realised the buggerup. Was glad didn't have to take the rotor off!!!!]

Didn't feel the need to take apart this part of the bail systems. Its held together with a stainless steel circlip and I couldn't be bothers looking for it all over the floor if I prised it off :D Looked pretty sturdy the the way it was held together

The bail spring mech is covered by a shiny plastic panel. The plastic is clear and seems fairly resilient. Its covered with a thick layer of metalised stuff. I found this out by taking a slice with the blade ;) Insides look simple and sturdy, no signs of corrosion that I could see]

Handle knob is of the pressed on type so changing to an aftermarket job would be a pia. The knob doesnt feel bad in the hand though ;) Loaded sentence, I know :p The Fin Nor badge is anondised alloy and held with some crazy long skinny screws

Bail Roller assembly was in need of some care. I had not rinsed the reel in 4 months and was a bit grubby. I gave some oil and left it for now. Will order new roller and bearing and the two washers, one which looks like some sort of clear rubber. And will give a regular rinse to this unit and occasional service. The last of them double shielded bearing must me this one]

Mounting post for the roller assembly' alt='267978_313979435372042_228316539_n.jpg'>

Thought I would take the drag knob apart as well and see how she grips the shaft. Inside is a big captive nut and thick spring. All stainless steel. there is a point to be wary off here. I almost missed the tiny little bullet thing that rides a teeny spring and goes clickety click on the plastic teeth that gives the drag being adjusted sound

Only my humble opinions here. I only know a little that I have gleaned from articles like Alan Hawks and things that seem to work on the water

I describe the reel as very well built and sturdy. There was plenty of lube inside and no signs of poor assembly or bad quality parts

Very strong drag and clutch. Very impressed to find this in a reel that cost me $130 retail. Bonus is spare spool with drag washers already fitted for under $25

Only non metal parts are the drag knob, side cap, bail spring housing cover, rotor nut cover and some washers and bushings which seems to be some sort of HDPE...oh and the 5 carbon fibre drag washers

All the screws are stainless steel, bushings as mentioned HDPE and some also stainless steel and brass ones.

The gear box seems to be nice tight fit and with good greasing would be fairly good at keeping water out

I dont know how good double shielded bearings as touted on the box are, would it pay to replace them with rubber sealed ones?

The reel body is strong, there is no obvious signs of flex under heavy load and same for the main shaft. Some times when I get snagged I hold he spool and try to walk backwards to snap free. This puts enormous load on the bail arm and reel stem.

I think I will set a starting drag of 18kg from now. I should be able to get a good life out of the reel with that much. I will pick up another one of the same when I am back in Sydney in a few weeks, and also order a couple of spares such as bail roller bearings and a gear kit. And a pair of spare spools for the two reels. Hope this is of help to someone who is on a tight budget too

What does it weigh?

No idea, my digital scales busted and shops are closed atm so cant take it out to get weighed. Weight not listed in specs either