16 replies to this topic

#1 swj

swj

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 11:58 AM

On my way to work I saw the barges being towed eastward off Gilgo yesterday and can confirm what looks to be dredging equipment in FI inlet between the Sore Thumb and the RM backside as of this morning at 8:45a.

#2 ChasingTales

ChasingTales

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 12:16 PM

I hope they are going to put sand on gilgo also. It been closed for to long.

#3 Grimlock11

Grimlock11

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 12:21 PM

Wouldn't that be a genius move? Take the sand from the inlet and replenish Gilgo, havent been to Gilgo in years.

#4 Fishtale7

Fishtale7

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 3:33 PM

I believe Newsday stated Moses & Gilgo are the two primary areas of restoration. Obviously the Moses traffic circle needs fortifying and Gilgo is to fortify the area where the road is being repaired. Not sure of how much sand they will dredge up, but hopefully it is enough to pump sand back up all the way from Gilgo to the Thumb, town beaches included. It would be nice to to be able to once again run the entire length.
Wet a line even if it looks barren, you may be pleasantly surprised - then again you may not
Life is a waiting room, I hope they don't call me soon......

#5 willy young

willy young

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 6:48 PM

I believe Newsday stated Moses & Gilgo are the two primary areas of restoration. Obviously the Moses traffic circle needs fortifying and Gilgo is to fortify the area where the road is being repaired. Not sure of how much sand they will dredge up, but hopefully it is enough to pump sand back up all the way from Gilgo to the Thumb, town beaches included. It would be nice to to be able to once again run the entire length.

Thats the plan, I do not know if Cedar will get any sand.
I believe R.M.5 will get some before Cedar
Willie

#6 Fishtale7

Fishtale7

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 7:12 PM

Thats the plan, I do not know if Cedar will get any sand.
I believe R.M.5 will get some before Cedar
Willie

I figured as much. It was just wishful thinking on my part.
Wet a line even if it looks barren, you may be pleasantly surprised - then again you may not

#7 CWitek

CWitek

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationWest Babylon, NY

Posted February 08 2013 - 9:18 AM

Hopefully, they'll pump most of it on Gilgo and other points west.

Littoral drift is east to west, meaning that anything that they pump out of the inlet and onto Moses is just going to end up back in the inlet after another storm or two. It would be nice to be able to run the same channel for two years in a row, and not have the 4 buoy lying on its side again for a while.

#8 rayve

rayve

• BST Users
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 2:20 PM

Drove west passing Cedar yesterday and a big pipe was already spewing out liquid sand from the dredge. They're already pumping away!!  Looked like it was close to west Cedar/east Hemlock.

#9 drysuit2

drysuit2

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 2:30 PM

Drove west passing Cedar yesterday and a big pipe was already spewing out liquid sand from the dredge. They're already pumping away!!  Looked like it was close to west Cedar/east Hemlock.

Yea I saw the same thing. That pile is already huge. I also noticed a second barge closer to the causeway. Does anyone know if that is a second dredge? Maybe for Robert Moses?

#10 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Elite Member

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 8:50 PM

Nothing getting pumped over to Moses yet.
Let the big girls go

#11 rayve

rayve

• BST Users
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 10:27 AM

Here's some info from a contact I have:

Ray this is one of the fleet of trucks transporting the sand from the end of the pipeline to the west by Tobay. They are off road vehicles called DJB’s after the guy who designed them. Each holds 30 ton or 40CY of sand. They work day and night 7 days per week until all 800K CY’s are moved into place. "

He went on to say that the sand is being hauled to the western end of TOBAY and working towards the east.

#12 Fishtale7

Fishtale7

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 4:00 PM

Here's some info from a contact I have:

Ray this is one of the fleet of trucks transporting the sand from the end of the pipeline to the west by Tobay. They are off road vehicles called DJB’s after the guy who designed them. Each holds 30 ton or 40CY of sand. They work day and night 7 days per week until all 800K CY’s are moved into place. "

He went on to say that the sand is being hauled to the western end of TOBAY and working towards the east.

Did he say how far east?

#13 bjohnston115

bjohnston115

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted February 13 2013 - 4:15 PM

So i should buy a permit this year is what youre saying??

#14 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

Elite Member

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 9:42 AM

[img=
[IMG]http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1537258/width/1000/height/1000]
Let the big girls go

#15 rayve

rayve

• BST Users
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted February 14 2013 - 10:28 AM

My understanding is they'll work on Ocean Parkway dunes and roadway reconstruction first and the RM Traffic Circle. So that means bringing the sand probably back to the dredge outflow pipe at East Gilgo State Park.

Sand replenishment is secondary to the above and that would include the beaches at Cedar and Overlook.

As far as buying your 4x4 permit, your call. I bought mine, figuring Demo and Sore Thumb will be available. Maybe GSP? And I'm not out east to see Napeague or Hither Hills. I'm hoping to get out there this or next weekend to take a drive.

A lot of this will be weather related too. Great weather, few storms are key factors, and a looming deadline of May 30th for the roadwork all play in.