Long Island/NY Beer Discussion

Rate this topic

Leatherface

:beers:

Not sure many of you know about this, but there has been a new beer released to help support the efforts in helping those affected by Sandy. I believe it is only available in 22 oz. bottles and goes for something like $17 at the local breweries and beverage stores.

Besides wanting to throw that out there, I would also like to create a place to discuss any local beers that are brewed here on the island as well as upstate NY. I know a few guys that have brewed their own beer in the past, so if there's anyone that dabbles in that, feel free to discuss as well.

Former LIBBA #1818

Nice Bob - beer thread for the Gits ;) (whatever the hell a git is)

Heard about the brew you're referring to - think part of the proceeds are to help one of the local brewers out as well since they got hammered in the storm

Forget which one

Since the 2/2 show is not on by the old Hooters / 58 was thinking that maybe we should get a few folks over to the tap and barrel for a few cold ones

Ed - I am hosting the Super bowl again this year, so that weekend is hard for me to get away to begin with. I know Willie said they may shoot for mid-Feb. for that show. We'll see.

This past weekend I filled my growler up with Eight-Legged RyePA from Spider Bite. I really liked it. Definitely a distinct taste and I know I tasted something similar last year, I just can't put my finger on it.

The beverage place down towards me, on the corner of Portion and Rosevale has a great selection. I think he has something like 15 taps to fill your growler.

Former LIBBA #1818

i used to go to that place there - but then a new place opened on middle country rd in St. James (Bullsye)

They only have 4 growler taps but I tend to go for the bottles n cans vs. the growlers

Like to have the variety and not worry about needing to finish off a growler in a day or two

Another weekend for the tap and barrel then i guess

The spider bite on tap is much better than the bottles IMO

Love the 32 oz drafts of Hoptical Illusion at Penn Station for $6.50

From their website:

Sandy Relief Beer started as a video project by Matt Furman and Niko Krommydas, but quickly morphed into a collaborative relief effort by eight local breweries after Hurricane Sandy devastated Long Island and destroyed Barrier Brewing Company in Oceanside.

The participants gathered at Blue Point Brewing Company on December 04, 2012 and brewed Surge Protector IPA, an India Pale Ale, to raise proceeds for victims of Hurricane Sandy and the recovering brewery.

Each brewery donated an ingredient for Surge Protector IPA, exhibiting the solidarity of Long Island’s beer community.

Long Island Cares, Inc. will receive one-half of all proceeds from Sandy Relief Beer.

Clare Rose Inc. is funding Sandy Relief Beer and handling all distribution of Surge Protector IPA.

The beer is labeled under Blue Point Brewing Company.

Breweries involved:

Barrier Brewing Company

Blind Bat Brewery

Blue Point Brewing Company

Great South Bay Brewery

Greenport Harbor Brewing Company

Long Ireland Beer Company

Port Jeff Brewing Company

Spider Bite Beer Company

Former LIBBA #1818

Is that beer available off island ? Even if its a horrible IPA I would drink it for the cause :shock: couple of NY IPA(s) that you might want to try are Ithaca brewery's flower power excellent fruity but well balanced IPA.

South Tier is another NY brewer whose IPA and their 2XIPA are very drinkable,

A guy a little more local to me is Capt. Lawrence from elmsford , he got a very respectable IPA haven't seen it in 6 packs only in a 22 oz bottle

I Fish therefore I Lie

surge protector is a good cause ...to bad its the worst IPA i ever tasted... and its only 5%

C'mon, no way it's the worst. Like I said in the Tavern IPA thread, it's a straight up American IPA. Good session beer, but if you're looking for the heavy hop kick, this ain't your beer. I like this more than GSB's Massive IPA, which isn't massive at all, and has a soapy finish.

Is that beer available off island ? Even if its a horrible IPA I would drink it for the cause :shock: couple of NY IPA(s) that you might want to try are Ithaca brewery's flower power excellent fruity but well balanced IPA.

South Tier is another NY brewer whose IPA and their 2XIPA are very drinkable,

A guy a little more local to me is Capt. Lawrence from elmsford , he got a very respectable IPA haven't seen it in 6 packs only in a 22 oz bottle

surge protector is distributed by Clair rose.. but im sure its not available to far from long island. Its a GREAT cause!.. thats why i bought it.. But i was contemplating a $16.99 drain pour :D it tasted like a watered down hoptical illusion. Flower power is great stuff.. its my go to. Even better now that you can get it year round :p