Question on Bottle plugs

Rate this topic

Evil-Bay

Do you work these plugs the same way you would with a popper??  Was always curious about how the head of these things are shaped.  Looks complicated to use.

BTW, I used the search thread and didnt see anything on how to work this type of plug...unless i didnt see the thread on it...

More like a darter. Most of them will swim between six inches and three feet deep with a wiggle. If you have one that dives really quickly, you can crank it down, then let it float up some and crank it down again. Usually, they will cast well and hold in rougher water than most other plugs. I usually just do a slow steady retrieve. You can definitely feel them working.

.........Elvis lives....2020

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

More like a darter. Most of them will swim between six inches and three feet deep with a wiggle. If you have one that dives really quickly, you can crank it down, then let it float up some and crank it down again. Usually, they will cast well and hold in rougher water than most other plugs. I usually just do a slow steady retrieve. You can definitely feel them working.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post

It is often necessary to give a sharp tug once you get the slack out to get the plug engaged or digging. If your rod tip is pulsating,that means the plug is diggin. They are usually perferred for big and or fast water. Good Luck.

If you get a good cross flow just dig it in, stop reeling and let it work----deadly

At one time bottle plugs were as popular as darters at Montauk. If I had only two plugs to fish there it would be a 2oz bottle in white and a darter in yellow. In fact they were the only two plugs used at night under the light. It seems they have lost some of their appeal lately.To the point when I clipped one on and took fish the guy next to me had no idear what it was. If you think getting the head of a darter right the bottle is harder. Gibbs and SS pretty much held the market. Gibbs still makes a two oz and the large 3oz, SS has a smaller bottle in plastic with a lip made for Montauk.

johnnycakes pretty much tells how to fish it.

Inlets when the tides are running, rips where two currents converge...........bottle is also a great lure for an East Coast noreaster or storm imo. They cast well into that serious blow and handle big, turbulent water well.

Johnny pretty much covered how to handle them......only thing I would add is fishing them in a storm you want to be conscious of when the bottle is behind the wave and then in/in front of a wave.....you want to adjust your retrieve speed accordingly.

When you say fast water... Does that mean Inlets?

Yes . I use the term fast water for any water moving (current) with force or speed. Here locally aside from a couple of tide sensitive rips,the inlets and a couple of river area's are the only strong current areas to speak of unless there is a heave. To the east and north of us I have found more places that have fast water. Most likely why bottles are not as popular around here. Shallow water being another reason.

plays well with others